Chilblain occurs because of sudden warming of the skin after being exposed to cold temperatures for a long time. The sudden change in temperature from cold to hot can make the blood vessels expand quickly. As a result, it will lead to leakage of blood. Chilblains can affect some body parts like toes, hands, feet, ears, earlobes, nose and fingers. Some symptoms of chilblains are intense itching, pain, burning sensation, dryness, inflammation and redness on the affected areas. In some cases, affected areas may appear blister. If it gets worse, ulceration and infection may set in, too. Chilblains can affect many people of any age but they affect more women than men .
Here are 15 home remedies for chilblains that you definitely should take into consideration to prepare yourself in case getting the condition.
1. Increase Calcium Intake
There is a truth that calcium deficiency is a cause that makes a person become more vulnerable to chilblains. Therefore, the best home remedy for chilblain you need to apply immediately is to increase your calcium intake in order to prevent chilblains if you have already suffered from chilblains during the winter.
- Eat calcium-rich foods like cheese, yogurt, soybeans, milk, fortified cereals, fortified soy milk, fortified orange juice, kale, white beans, broccoli, collard greens, salmon, sardines, etc.
- You can also take a calcium supplement. Remember to consult your doctor before taking it.
2. Black Peppercorn
This is another useful home remedy for chilblain. Black peppercorn can help you reduce pain, swelling and inflammation because of its anti-inflammatory properties .
- Grind black peppercorns (1/2 to 1 teaspoon) in a thorough way.
- Add the ground black peppercorns to sesame seed oil after you heat 1 teaspoon of the oil.
- Next, strain and wait for it to cool down.
- Use this to massage your affected areas every day (2 to 3 times).
There are a lot of good ways that we can use garlic for and one of them is making chilblain treatments. Garlic can reduce itchiness, inflammation and heal the chilblains quickly because they have antiseptic properties and anti-inflammatory .
- Include garlic or garlic-flavored foods in your daily meals.
- Apply garlic oil on the affected areas for a couple of times a day to relieve your discomforts and stimulate the blood flow as well.
Besides, garlic is also a useful remedy for digestion. Read more at Home Remedies for Bloating.
4. Aloe Vera
Like garlic, aloe vera is also used as a treatment of chilblains because it has anti-inflammatory and healing properties. Aloe vera can reduce pain and get rid of other discomforts, sooth the inflammation as well .
- In order to extract aloe vera leaf’s gel, cut it open.
- Use this gel to apply on the affected areas.
- Massage these areas gently in order to increase blood circulation.
- Wait for it to dry and clean up with a wet tissue.
- Follow this remedy 1 to 2 times a day until you see the result.
You can also find other benefits of Aloe Vera at How to get rid of Blemishes.
Poor blood circulation is one of the causes that can make you become more vulnerable to chilblains. To prevent this cause, you should exercise regularly. Exercises can help you improve your blood circulation to every part of your body. This is not only a useful home remedy for chilblain but also a necessary method to enhance your immunity .
- You should go walking, jogging, swimming or bicycling every day so that you can improve your blood circulation.
- Alternatively, do some aerobic exercise or cardiovascular workouts for 30 minutes every day.
Note: Remember to warm up carefully before doing exercises.
Make sure that you elevate the affected area first when you are suffering from chilblains. It is an effective treatment of chilblain to reduce pain and swelling, inflammation as well as improving blood circulation.
- Place your legs and hands on some pillows to elevate them.
- Sit in a high-backed chair with your neck bended backwards if your nose or ears are affected.
- Another option is wrapping yourself with a warm blanket and then drinking a glass of warm herbal tea or a cup of hot chocolate or cocoa to help you adapt to warm temperature.
- Use olive oil or coconut oil to massage the affected area gently to improve the blood circulation once you get used to the room temperature.
Onion is a popular tip to get rid of chilblains. Onions are very helpful to reduce swelling, pain, itching and inflammation due to its antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and antibiotic properties. Onions can also reduce the chances of infection .
- Cut an onion into thick slices.
- Take one slice to rub over the affected area.
- Wait for 15 minutes before taking it out with a warm washcloth.
- Follow this solution for 2 to 3 times a day (1 to 2 weeks).
- Another option is grinding onions (1 to 2) into a paste.
- Apply it on the affected area and rinse it off with cold water after 15 to 20 minutes.
- Follow this solution every day for 1 to 2 weeks.
- Note: Do not apply onion juice or raw onions on cracked skin.
Not only for the skin, does the onion use for other parts of your body such as hair. Learn more about onion benefits at Home Remedies for Hair Loss.
- Take a handful of calendula flowers and boil it in 2 glasses of water.
- Wait for 15 to 20 minutes then let this cool down before adding some sea salt to it.
- Apply this solution on the affected area for 15 minutes, 1 to 2 times every day.
- Another option is calendula ointment. You can buy it from the market and apply it directly on the affected areas.
This is one of the simple treatments of chilblains. In winter, you should massage your legs and hands in circular motion twice a day, when you wake up and before you go to bed. This will improve your blood circulation and reduce the risk of chilblains .
- Add some drops of an essential oil like rosemary, lemon or lavender oil to any vegetable oil and use this mixture to massage.
- You can also use castor oil or palm oil to massage your legs and hands.
You can also use potatoes to ease the pain caused by chilblains because they have soothing and anti-irritating properties. They can help you treat blisters that are caused by chilblains, too.
- Cut a raw potato into thick slices then sprinkle some salt on the slices before rubbing them on the affected are in a gentle way.
- Another option is boiling 1 or 2 potatoes in 2 glasses of water (10 to 15 minutes).
- Wait for it to cool down then apply it on the affected area for 10 minutes.
- Follow either of these treatments above 2 times a day for a week.
11. Keep warm
The simplest natural remedy for chilblain that you can apply for treating and preventing the condition is simply limiting your exposure to the cold.
- Wear warm clothes whenever you go out in the winter.
- Make sure your house is well heated.
- Avoid tight-fitting boots and shoes.
- Keep yourself active.
- Remember to warm your skin up gradually when it gets cold. If you do this too quickly, it may lead to chilblains.
If you are suffering from chilblains and natural remedies don’t work, you should use Compound Tincture of Benzoin (Friar’s Balsam) or other suitable kinds of lotion to help you reduce the pain and the risk of infection, too.
You can also use Lanolin cream at night in order to keep your skin soft.
13. Stop smoking
Everyone knows that smoking is not good for your health. And if you are suffering from chilblains, smoking will make them worse.
So if you smoke, it is better for you to stop smoking. It will help you get rid of chilblains as well as improving your health.
Another treatment of chilblain is using medicines. People usually use this remedy if they have recurring chilblains.
Nifedipine is a medicine that may prevent chilblains and open the small blood vessels.
Note: Remember to consult your doctor before using it.
15. Consulting a Doctor
In case the situation doesn’t get better, especially if the chilblains are infected, when your toes and fingers look deathly white then blue and red and they become very painful, consulting a doctor is highly recommended.
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!