What is Chickenpox?
Chickenpox is a disease that can spread easily from person to person. It comes from a virus known as Varicella Zoster. Although children under the age of 12 are often infected with chickenpox, anyone may have to encounter this disease once in his or her lifetime. Chickenpox often goes along with the appearance of blisters on the whole body and itchiness as well. Normally, when the virus enters your body, it does not cause immediate effect. You may notice irritation after 10-20 days. The symptoms of chickenpox can include fever, fatigue or the pain in some parts of the body .
What causes Chickenpox?
As the virus is the main cause for chickenpox, infection can happen when you have contact with sufferers. Those people, whose immune system is not strong, such as pregnant women or newborns, are also likely to get chickenpox more easily .
Nowadays, the vaccination for chickenpox is available everywhere. Therefore, it is wise to have your children vaccinated in order to prevent chickenpox, as there goes a saying, “Prevention is better than cure”. If you or your children are already infected with the virus, do not worry. There are many ways to speed up the treatment of chickenpox and get rid of chickenpox effectively. Drugs can help, but they can bring a lot of side effects and you do not want your children to suffer from any other side problems. Many natural home remedies for chickenpox can be found at your home. But first, make sure that your children have a balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle.
Here are the top 15 most effective home remedies for chickenpox which you can try easily at home in order to assist the treatment of chicken pox as well as prevent yourself from getting infections again…
Honey contains many anti-bacterial substances that play an important role in the treatment of chickenpox. It is also a very popular ingredient for every household, so you may not have difficulties finding honey. Honey will reduce the itchiness caused by chickenpox and eliminate blisters at the same time .
You can use raw honey directly on the skin area which chickenpox affects several times on a daily basis.
2. Epsom Salt
With anti-inflammatory property, Epsom salt is one of the best home remedies for chickenpox. The amount of magnesium and sulfate which are present in Epsom salt is very helpful to support you in getting rid of the itchiness and irritation triggered by chickenpox. In addition, it prevents the growth of the virus inside the body and you will get rid of chickenpox naturally after a short time.
- Prepare two cups of Epsom salt.
- Pour them into warm water.
- Put your body inside the mixture in 15-20 minutes. Or you can take a shower with it.
- Then, use a soft and clean towel to make your body dry. Remember not to use the towel too hard on the skin.
Epsom salt is extremely effective for diseases with rash symptoms such as shingles. You can find out more about Epsom salt at: Home Remedies for Shingles.
The itchiness must be one of the most annoying symptoms of chickenpox and it worsens the situations when people scratch the skin. And in order to deal with this kind of trouble, you should make use of ginger, a very common ingredient in every house and one of the top 3 home remedies for chickenpox. While drinking ginger tea is a great way to remove the virus from the inside, you can take a bath with ginger to alleviate what your skin are suffering from .
- Cut a ginger into small pieces.
- Prepare a bath tub of hot water. Put some ginger pieces into it.
- When the water becomes warm, you can sit in the mixture for half an hour.
- After that, use a soft and clean towel to pat dry yourself very carefully.
4. Baking Soda
You can actually speed up the treatment of chickenpox with the help of baking soda. It is available in almost every kitchen and you do not need to spend much time on preparing this home remedy for chickenpox .
- You should use only half a spoon of baking soda.
- It should be mixed with a cup of water.
- A cotton ball can be soaked in the mixture and applied over the itchy skin. Or you can take a bath with the mixture if possible to get the best results.
If you are looking for a way to get rid of chickenpox naturally without any side effect, oatmeal will be recommended as one of the best home remedies for chickenpox. It will help you escape from the irritating condition caused by chickenpox effectively.
- Prepare two cups of oatmeal and turn them into powder.
- Use two cups of water and mix them together.
- You can take a bath with the mixture.
6. Brown Vinegar
The health benefits of brown vinegar are even known long before its cooking advantages. The acetic acid of brown vinegar can stop the development of virus and eliminate it quickly. Besides, it will eradicate the blisters and prevent the appearance of scars after the treatment of chickenpox .
- Mix brown vinegar and warm water with the ratio 1:2.
- The mixture should be mixed with your bath water.
7. Aloe Vera
Undeniably, Aloe Vera has always been considered as one of the most effective home remedies for chickenpox. The gel extracted from Aloe Vera can remove the blisters and bring great positive impacts on the skin as well .
8. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil can boost the immunity; therefore, the body will become strong enough to fight against the attack of virus that causes chickenpox. The nutrients of tea tree oil can be absorbed easily through the skin and after several times of applying it, you will get rid of chickenpox naturally .
For more information about the benefits and applications of tea tree oil, please read: Home Remedies for Scabies.
9. Sandalwood Oil
Natural oil, whose properties are similar to those of tea tree oil, is sandalwood oil. It has many antiviral and antibacterial substances that are needed in the treatment of chickenpox. If applied directly on the skin, sandalwood oil can prevent inflammation as well. But to maximize the benefits, you should use sandalwood oil with turmeric powder .
- Mix 3-5 drops of sandalwood oil with a spoon of turmeric powder.
- The mixture should be applied over the skin.
- After 30 minutes, use cool water to wash the skin carefully. Remember not to touch the blisters too hard.
10. Neem Leaves
This remedy has been prevalent in India for ages. Preventing the virus varicella zoster very effectively, neem is a wonderful plant that we can apply as one of natural home remedies for chickenpox. It is suitable for those who are suffering from blisters and itchiness on the skin. However, as neem leaves are quite strong, children are not recommended to consume it directly .
- Choose some neem leaves and have them crushed.
- Mix it with water after that.
- The paste should be put directly on the itchy skin.
11. Green Pea
Green pea is one of the excellent home remedies for chickenpox because it can help sufferers overcome the most severe symptoms of this disease. The itchiness triggered by chickenpox can be wiped out easily after several times of applying green peas.
- 200g of green peas should be mixed with water.
- Boil the mixture after that. When the peas become softer, the mixtures should be drained.
- After the mixture is cool, have your body soaked in this mixture in order to alleviate all the irritations you have to suffer from.
12. Herbal Tea
There are many herbal teas that can be seen as effective home remedies for chickenpox. You can use chamomile, lemon balm or marigold to make the tea which should be consumed several times per day. Or if you want to speed up the treatment of chickenpox, you can combine them to make one effective and wonderful remedy.
- Mix a spoon of each ingredient you chose before in hot water.
- They should be steeped in several minutes and strained after that.
- Cinnamon, honey or lemon juice can be added to improve the flavors.
- You should consume it 2-3 times per day.
Known as marigold flowers, calendula is often mentioned as a wonderful natural gift to treat itchiness caused by different diseases, including chickenpox. Therefore, it is an essential method from the list of home remedies for chickenpox which are highly recommended .
- Soak calendula flowers in water before you go to bed.
- In the next morning, crush it to make a paste which should be applied directly on the skin after that.
- Then, use water to wash the skin.
This remedy will enable you to get rid of chickenpox naturally. Echinacea which contains a high amount of alkylamines, can enhance the immune system, which strengthens the body to fight against the virus. In addition, Echinacea can prevent the body from getting infected with the virus .
15. Calamine Lotion
This is one of the simplest home remedies for chickenpox because you only need to spend little time on applying it over the itchy skin affected by chickenpox. It should be used 2-3 times per day to get the best results.
In brief, to get rid of chickenpox naturally requires a lot of effort and patience. You will not overcome this problem overnight, but there are many ways to prevent or even stop it from disturbing your life. Some changes in lifestyle and diet will be beneficial to help you stay strong. For example, you should consume more vegetables and fruits which provide a variety of vitamins and protein. In addition, make sure that you drink enough water every day. It is not difficult to follow the treatment of chickenpox and do not let it negatively affect you now and then.
*Disclaim: The effectiveness from applying these natural tips will be depended on the body condition of the applicant.