What is Chest Congestion?
It is an extremely common condition which anyone might encounter at least once in life.
It is the result of accumulation of mucus in trachea as well as the respiratory tract which in turn makes your chest feel heavy. If this condition is not taken care timely, your respiratory tract might get infection .
What causes Chest Congestion?
The most popular factor which triggers chest congestion is common cold. Also fungi, bacteria and allergens can also trigger chest congestion as well as infection. Some other medical conditions such as pneumonia, the flu, tuberculosis, bronchitis, asthma do contribute to the occurrence of chest congestion.
Symptoms of Chest Congestion
The symptoms of chest congestion can cause a lot of discomforts and tiredness as it reduces the supply of oxygen. There are some common signs such as cough, difficult breathing with shortness of breath, and tightened chest with mild pain, throat irritation and dizziness.
Here are the top 15 most effective home remedies for chest congestion which are easy for you to apply in order to get rid of chest congestion as well as strengthen your respiratory system.
1. Salt Water
The most efficient and number one on the list of home remedies for chest congestion is salt water. You can use this solution for gargling couples of time per day as it can help you eliminate mucus in respiratory tract while hot water will soothe the irritation in throat .
How to do:
- Take a teaspoon of salt into some warm water and dissolve.
- Use the solution to gargle 2 to 3 times every day until the congestion is gone.
Another simple yet equally effective method as salt water from the list of home remedies for chest congestion is none other than steam. Heat from steam as well as moisture will break and clear mucus.
How to do:
- Take a bowl of hot water. Put in some peppermint or eucalyptus oil. Place a towel on your head and put your face above the bowl. Breathe in the steam as much as you can and breathe deeply.
- Also you might inhale some steam vapors for about 5 minutes while taking a hot shower.
- Perform 2 to 3 times every day.
Note: It might not be appropriate for pregnant women, young kids as well as people who are having high blood pressure or conditions related to heart.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
It would be a huge loss if apple cider vinegar is not in the list of home remedies for chest congestion. It is capable of thinning mucus which will alleviate congestion and improve breathing. Furthermore, the vinegar can even promote immunity, thus help you avoid chest congestion.
How to use:
- Take 2 teaspoons of unfiltered raw vinegar into some warm water.
- Add in a teaspoon of honey.
- Consume 2 to 3 times per day for 1 week.
If you want to know more about the mighty benefits and applications of apple cider vinegar, please take a look here: 16 Ways That Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits You.
The active compound of turmeric called curcumin is excellent at removing mucus and alleviates chest congestion. Furthermore, the mighty anti-inflammatory property from turmeric can significantly treat pain, cough as well as other chest congestion’s symptoms .
How to use:
- Take some turmeric powder into some warm water and use it for gargling couples of time every day.
- You can take ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder into some milk and have it boiled. Put in some honey and black pepper. Consume hot for 2 to 3 times every day.
- Another way is taking 2 tablespoon each of apple cider vinegar and turmeric powder to mix. Consume the mixture twice every day.
- Keep performing until the congestion is gone.
Note: People who are having hyperacidity, gallstones and stomach ulcers are not recommended to apply this tip.
For more information about the effectiveness of turmeric against problems related to chest, please take a look here: Home Remedies for Angina.
The immune-boosting and anti-inflammatory properties are what make ginger one of the best ingredient for treatment of chest congestion. Moreover, the polyphenols from ginger will prevent mucus from secreting as well as combat infection in order to eliminate all underlying factors that cause chest congestion .
How to use:
- Take a tablespoon of freshly chopped ginger into some hot water and steep for about 5 minutes. Then have it strained and put in some honey. Consume 3 cups every day.
- Another way is taking a teaspoon each of cloves, black pepper and dried ginger and grind into powder. Separate into 3 doses and consume 3 times per day with either milk or honey.
- Also you can take some fresh pieces of ginger or candies with ginger flavor to chew during the day in order to clear congestion.
- Perform for couples of day or until the congestion is completely gone.
Ginger is extremely popular not only as a kitchen ingredient but also as a home remedy. If you want to know more about onion and its potent effects, please take a look here: Ginger – A Versatile Natural Home Remedy.
The quercetin from onion is incredible at dissolving mucus. Moreover, it can prevent the accumulation of mucus in chest. Additionally, its antimicrobial property can effectively help you avoid infection. Therefore, it is not surprising at all to see onion in the list of home remedies for chest congestion .
How to use:
- Take an onion and extract the juice. Put in some water, honey and lemon juice in equal amount. Warm up the mixture and consume 3 to 4 times per day.
- Another way is chewing about 5 to 6 shallots or small onions and swallowing with sugar before bedtime.
- Also you can have either cooked baked or raw onion in order to make mucus flow easier.
- Perform every day until the congestion is cleared.
This fruit cannot be excluded in the list of home remedies for chest congestion as its citric acid can be able to decrease mucus’ thickness in order to be easier for expelling. Furthermore, vitamin C will enhance the immunity of your body .
How to use:
- Take a tablespoon of lemon juice into some hot water with some honey. Consume couples of time every day.
- Another way is taking a tablespoon of grated lemon zest into some hot water and steep for about 10 minutes. Then have it strained and consume warmly. Also you can use the solution for gargling. Perform 2 to 3 times every day.
You can find out more about lemon benefits at Home Remedies for Toenail Fungus.
Without honey, the list of home remedies for chest congestion cannot be completed. It is extremely effective at decreasing mucus’ thickness, thus make it easier for removing from respiratory tract. Moreover, with antibacterial and antiviral properties, it is the best at combating infection .
How to use:
- Consume a teaspoon of honey by itself or have it mixed with warm water then consume. It will relieve congestion for couples of hour.
- Add some honey into ½ teaspoon of black pepper powder to form a paste. Consume the 3 to 4 times every day until the congestion is relieved completely.
Note: Avoid applying for kids under 1 year old as it might cause botulism.
There are various ways to make use of honey to benefit human health. Read more Home Remedies for Blemishes.
The powerful anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties of garlic is considered the top choice in the list of home remedies for chest congestion. Moreover, with vitamin A, B, C together with minerals like selenium, calcium, iron and copper, garlic can help improve overall healthiness .
How to use:
- Take 2 to 3 cloves of garlic to crush and have them boiled in some milk and honey. Then have it strained and consume 2 times every day.
- Another way is taking 2 cloves of garlic to crush and mix with lemon juice of 3 lemons. Then put the mixture into some hot water with some salt as well as ½ teaspoon of crushed black pepper. Consume warmly for 2 times per day in couples of day.
- Also consume some fresh cloves can help you alleviate congestion at chest.
Work as an expectorant, licorice has proven to be an effective herb from the list of home remedies for chest congestion. Furthermore, it can even ease irritation in your throat.
How to use:
- Take ½ teaspoon of licorice root into some hot water and steep for about 10 minutes. Then have them strained and add in some honey. Consume 2 to 3 times per day.
- Another way is taking ½ teaspoon each of ginger powder and licorice powder into some hot water. Consume 2 times per day.
Note: People who are having high blood pressure are not recommended to apply this tip.
11. Bay Leaf
This herb is recommended in the list of home remedies for chest congestion; however, it is even effective at treating numerous other health problems.
In case of chest congestion, you can use the tea as the treatment. In order to prepare the tea, you can take some bay leaves into some boiling water and steep for a while. Consume warmly.
Also you can use bay leaves to perform hot compress. The process is similar as making tea but this time you will take a clean cloth to soak the liquid and apply it directly on your chest.
This herb is capable of strengthening lungs in order to combat against bacteria causing mucus. Therefore, it is the option from the list of home remedies for chest congestion that you can consider when having chest congestion related to bacteria.
You can make thyme tea by taking ¼ to ½ teaspoon of thyme into some boiling water. Steep for about 5 minutes and add in some honey for sweetening then consume.
Also you can take some olive or corn oil to mix with thyme oil in equal amount. Use the mixed oil to apply directly on chest to alleviate discomforts.
This vegetable is remarkably effective at eliminating chest congestion related cold, allergies and bronchitis. It is often considered a natural expectorant and it is an extremely popular vegetable with brilliant effects which you can totally choose to apply from the list of home remedies for chest congestion.
You just need to take a radish and chop it up. Add on some lemon juice and consume daily in the morning.
Also you can use radish juice. In order to prepare the juice, you can take some radishes to wash and chop. Then put them all in the juicer for extracting juice. Consume the juice regularly.
14. Oregano Oil
For the treatment of chest congestion, oregano oil can provide significant help. You just need to take some oregano oil and apply directly onto chest and throat. Or you might consider taking oregano oil in other supplementary forms such as capsule .
The last ingredient from the list of home remedies for chest congestion is the rising-popular fennel. It might appear often as the remedy for cancer or stomach ache… However, it is also an excellent treatment for mucus removal from lungs. You can take some sautéed fennel as well as use it together with curry powder for better effect.
- Consume chicken soup will alleviate inflammation in your lungs.
- Consume 1 – 2 cups of strong black coffee in a regular basis. Also you might use green tea as well as other herbal tea.
- Have a humidifier run at night in order to make nasal passages open for easier breath.
- Consume more fresh vegetables and fruits and even spicy foods for more vitamins. Keep out of foods which worsen the congestion like fried foods, frozen foods, refined foods, dairy products and rice.
- Maintain hydration at all time through consuming sufficient fluids. However, keep out of carbonated drinks.
- Keep out of alcohol as well as smoking in order to relieve chest congestion effectively.
- Maintain hygiene of your room as well as the surrounding areas to prevent bacteria or dust that can cause accumulation of mucus.
- Sleep sufficiently for strengthening your body to combat against congestion.
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!