What is Cervical Spondylosis?
It is also known under the term cervical osteoarthritis or even neck arthritis. It is a rather common condition related to aging as it affects the joints at neck .
What causes Cervical Spondylosis?
This condition happens due to the tear and wear of cartilage, bones and tissues from cervical spine. Some other associated problems can be herniated or dehydrated discs, stiff ligaments or bone spurs.
Other factors which also contribute to the occurrence of cervical spondylosis can be activities or jobs which apply excessive stress on neck, some particular injuries at neck, poor posture in either sitting or walking, overweight with sedentary lifestyle, smoking or genetic factors .
Symptoms of Cervical Spondylosis
Even though, no such noticeable sign is shown most of the time, there are still some case which the symptoms do appear. People might experience pain in the neck as well as chronic and mild pain around the area of shoulder blades, neck stiffness, headaches with muscle weakness, pain in the arms and fingers with tingling sensation around arms and shoulders. Also some people might even experience loss of balance.
This condition occurs most likely to people who are above 65 years of age in various degrees. However, this condition can be totally controlled with some simple changes in lifestyles as well as some natural remedies.
Here are the top 12 most effective home remedies for cervical spondylosis which are easy for you to follow in order to get rid of the neck pain as well as strengthen your body structure.
1. Regular Exercise
This is the most important tip from the list of home remedies for cervical spondylosis which you must follow as lack of physical exercise is one of the causes for this condition. By practicing some exercises, you can significantly alleviate the stiffness and pain at shoulders and neck .
How to do:
- Have your head rotated in clockwise and counter-clockwise as well as nodded sideway from one shoulder to another. Perform for 10 minutes in 2 – 3 times every day.
- Have your arms rotated clockwise and anti-clockwise as well as the fists folded and unfolded regularly.
- Perform some low-impact aerobics such as brisk walking or swimming for about 30 minutes 5 times per week.
- Also you might do some cycling regularly but only with straight back.
Note: In case the pain is exacerbated from doing any exercise, you must stop immediately and consult the doctor.
Exercise is incredibly beneficial for your whole body and not only the neck but also the back which is often prone for aching. For more information about the effectiveness of exercise, please take a look here: Home Remedies for Back Ache.
2. Hot and Cold Compress
The simplest yet most effective tip from the list of home remedies for cervical spondylosis is the compress of either hot or cold. The heat will improve circulation of blood as well as ease the soreness of muscles. The coldness will soothe inflammation and swelling .
How to use:
- In order to prepare hot compress, you can take a hot water bag and wrap it with a thin towel.
- In order to prepare cold compress, take some ice cubes and also wrap it with a thin towel.
- Apply hot compress on the painful area for couples of minute.
- Then replace it with cold compress for about 1 minute.
- Keep doing the procedure for about 15 minutes.
- Perform for couples of time every day until there are positive changes.
Note: Avoid applying hot compress in case the affected area is irritated and red. Also do not apply cold compress in case you are having problems with circulation.
3. Epsom Salt Bath
This method is extremely effective if you follow regularly as it will alleviate the symptoms of cervical spondylosis. It contains magnesium which can help control the levels of pH in your body. Therefore, pain, inflammation as well as stiffness in shoulders and neck can be reduced. That is why Epsom salt is always guaranteed a spot in the list of home remedies for cervical spondylosis.
How to use:
- Take 1 to 2 tablespoons of Epsom salt into some water to form a thick paste. Use the paste to apply onto the affected area for about 15 minutes. Perform every day.
- Another way is taking 2 cups of Epsom salt into a warm bath. Soak your body for at least 15 minutes. Perform 2 to 3 times per week.
Note: People who are having problems with kidney, heart as well as diabetes must avoid this tip.
Another popular condition which is related to joints and bones is gout that can be treated effectively with Epsom salt. If you want to know more about this condition as well as Epsom salt, please take a look here: Home Remedies for Gout.
The mighty analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties of garlic are what make it a must-include in the list of home remedies for cervical spondylosis. It can help you bring down inflammation, swelling and pain at neck and its surrounding areas effectively .
How to use:
- Have some cloves of garlic while your stomach is still empty in early morning then finish with some water. Also you take garlic in supplementary form but only after consulting the doctor.
- Another way is taking 2 to 3 cloves of garlic to crush and heating them up using vegetable oil in a pan. Let it cool down then use the oil to massage the affected area for about 10 minutes. Finish by a warm bath. Perform twice every day.
- Keep doing those methods until there are positive changes.
For more information about the benefits and applications of the most popular ingredient – garlic, please take a look here: Garlic – The World’s Healthiest Food.
Another popular kitchen ingredient that you need to pay attention in the list of home remedies for cervical spondylosis is turmeric. It can improve the circulation of blood which is extremely beneficial for alleviating pain and stiffness of muscles .
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of turmeric powder into some milk. Have it warmed up for about 5 minutes. Let it cool then put in some honey. Consume twice every day.
- Another way is taking turmeric in supplementary form for 3 times every day but only after consulting the doctor.
6. Sesame Seeds
This seed is so popular that it cannot be excluded from the list of home remedies for cervical spondylosis. Containing copper, manganese, magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, zinc and vitamins such as D and K, it will certainly improve your health as well as strength of bones. Furthermore, sesame oil is excellent at decreasing pain at neck .
How to use:
- Take some warm sesame oil to massage the painful area for about 10 minutes. Then use hot compress to apply on that area. Perform 3 to 4 times every day.
- Also you can take some lavender oil to mix with warm sesame oil then use the mixed oil for massage.
- Another way is taking a tablespoon of roasted sesame seeds to chew once every day in early morning. Or you can take a teaspoon of grounded roasted sesame seeds into some warm milk and consume twice every day. You might include sesame seeds in your daily cooking as well.
It is would an incomplete list of home remedies for cervical spondylosis without ginger. Its anti-inflammatory property is incredible at enhancing circulation of blood which will be able to alleviate inflammation and pain at neck as well as its surrounding areas .
How to use:
- Consume ginger tea 3 times per day. In order to prepare the tea, take a tablespoon of sliced ginger into some boiling water for about 10 minutes. After that, have it strained, put in some honey and consume.
- Another way is using powder. In order to make the powder, you can take some dried ginger, cumin seeds, and celery seeds in equal amount. Put in some rock salt depended on taste. Consume a teaspoon of the mixture with some water before bedtime.
- Also you can use ginger oil to massage couples of time every day.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar
Another essential ingredient for the treatment of cervical spondylosis is apple cider vinegar. The richness of anti-inflammatory property will relieve you from inflammation and pain a neck effectively .
How to use:
- Take a towel to soak the vinegar and apply directly onto the affected area. Keep it on for couples of hour. Perform twice every day.
- Another way is taking 2 cups of vinegar into a warm bath. Soak your body for at least 15 minutes. Perform once every day.
- Also you can take a tablespoon of organic raw vinegar with some honey into some water and consume once every day.
9. Cayenne Pepper
The capsaicin from cayenne pepper is so effective that cayenne must be included in the list of home remedies for cervical spondylosis. With anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties, cayenne can help you soothe inflammation and pain at neck extremely well .
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of cayenne powder with 2 tablespoon of warm olive oil to mix and apply the mixture onto the painful area. Use a bandage to cover overnight. Perform every day.
- Another way is taking a teaspoon of cayenne powder into some warm water and consuming 2 to 3 times every day.
10. Indian Lilac
The pain-suppressing and anti-inflammatory properties from neem can treat swelling, inflammation and pain at neck due to cervical spondylosis remarkably well. Therefore, it is not surprising at all to see neem included in the list of home remedies for cervical spondylosis .
How to use:
- Take 1 tablespoon of neem powder into some water to form a paste. Use double-boiler to warm up the paste. Apply directly the paste onto the painful area for about 30 minutes. Then cleanse off using warm water. Perform couples of time every day.
- Another way is taking some neem flowers and leaves into some boiling water. Then have it strained, let it cool down and consume twice every day.
- Also you can use neem oil for massage.
11. Lemon Juice
A simple yet efficient ingredient from the list of home remedies for cervical spondylosis is the ever-popular lemon. You can just take some lemon juice and add some salt and water for 2 to 3 times every day in order to relieve your back, shoulders and neck.
12. Mustard Oil
The last tip from the list of home remedies for cervical spondylosis is mustard oil. It can improve the strength of muscles and bones. With many nutrients, it will be able to relieve you from pain and inflammation as well as promote circulation of blood. Therefore, it is recommended to have your neck massaged gently using mustard oil before bedtime.
- Have some Chebulic myrobalan or harataki after meals in order to get temporary relief from stiffness and pain.
- Avoid exerting physically such as heavy lifting as it might make the problem worse.
- Get some quality sleep at night. Use firm pillow to avoid strain at neck. Use a firm mattress as well as sleep on back or on side with bending knees at good angles with the torso.
- Keep posture correctly during sitting and standing.
- Consume more salads which include raw vegetables such as carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, cabbage, lettuce and radishes.
- Keep out of fried, spicy and fatty foods as well as sugar, sweet, coffee or sour curd.
- Quit smoking as tobacco of any kind.
- Consume more foods rich in vitamin C, protein, phosphorus and calcium.
- Put on a soft collar or neck brace for a while to obtain quick relief. Avoid wearing for a long time.
- Have the affected area exposed to UV rays in early morning for about 15 minutes every day.
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!