Table of Contents
In this article, we would like to introduce to you about the condition called Carpal Tunnel Syndrome together with its causes as well as top 15 treatments.
What is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
Carpal tunnel syndrome or CTS is the name of the condition which impacts the arms and hands and trigger numbness as well as tingling sensation at the first stage .
As the condition escalates onto next levels, it might cause severe pain as well as weakness for hands and even damage the nerves. CTS could happen on either one or both of your hands which is often seen on women more than men.
What causes Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
The exact cause for CTS is still unable to identify. However, it is supposed to be the excessive pressure onto the median nerve which runs along the wrist in the carpal tunnel.
Also there are some factors which could contribute to the occurrence of CTS like repetitiveness in the use of wrist, wrist’s anatomy, an injury, deficiency of nutrition as well as some workplace factors .
Some particular medical conditions might as well increase the vulnerability to this condition such as thyroid dysfunction, diabetes, fluid retention, obesity, failure of kidney, menopause, pregnancy and autoimmune disease such as rheumatoid arthritis .
In case of advancing to the next stages by this condition, it is recommended that you seek out professional medical attention.
Here are the top 15 most effective home remedies for carpal tunnel syndrome which are easy for you to apply at home in order to get rid of carpal tunnel syndrome as well as prevent this condition from advancing.
1. Cold Compress
The simplest and most effective tip from the list of home remedies for carpal tunnel syndrome is using cold compress. The cold will be able to alleviate pain through having the affected area numbed. Furthermore, it can help you decrease inflammation as well as swelling .
How to do:
- Take some ice cubes into a plastic bag which is sealable.
- Have the bag wrapped using a towel and applied directly onto the affected area.
- Keep it on for at least 10 minutes.
- Perform hourly if needed.
Note: Do not apply directly ice onto the skin.
2. Massage Therapy
This method from the list of home remedies for carpal tunnel syndrome has been proven effective as it is capable of activating pressure points at your hands, thus improve the supply of blood, ease muscles, enhance mobility as well as alleviate pain .
How to do:
- Take some olive or coconut oil to apply directly onto the wrists and hands.
- Have your fingers, wrists, hands and arms massaged gently for about 15 minutes.
- Perform 2 to 3 times every day.
You can also get some sessions for the professional massage therapist.
Note: Avoid massaging in case your joints are painful and tender.
3. Epsom Salt
The anti-inflammatory property as well as being natural relaxant for muscles, it all comes from the magnesium content from Epsom salt. It enables the tightened muscles from the wrists and arms to relax .
How to use:
- Take ½ to 1 cup of Epsom salt into a warm tub.
- Have your wrists and hands soaked for at least 15 minutes.
- Perform 2 to 3 times per week.
4. Castor Oil
The reason for castor oil to appear in the list of home remedies for carpal tunnel syndrome is its capability in soothing inflammation, easing pain and restoring normal function of the wrists .
How to use:
- Take some warm castor oil and apply directly onto the fingers and hands.
- Have your fingers, wrists and even the hands’ backs massaged for about 15 minutes.
- Then have your hands wrapped in flannel and keep it on for about 1 hour.
- Perform once every day in 1 week.
The therapy of acupuncture and acupressure can provide significant help for the treatment of CTS. It is able to restore the normal function of the nerves as well as relieve you from pain.
This tip from the list of home remedies for carpal tunnel syndrome is something you should pay attention if you want to prevent early surgery.
There are some particular acu-points on the elbows as well as wrists which you can use the forefinger and thump to gently press in order to improve the energy flow as well as rehabilitate the motion range. However, it is better to consult the professional acupuncturist for precise treatment.
6. Stretching Exercises
It is recommended to stretch, rotate and flex the arms, hands and wrists for couples of time per day if you are having CTS. It will help improve circulation of blood as well as reduce few symptoms.
Those stretching exercises are extremely simple to perform and can be executed while you are still sitting at work, standing in line or any of your spare time.
How to do:
- Form a fist, then release the hand and have your fingers shook. Perform 5 – 10 times.
- Form your hands into prayer position. Have the fingers spread apart. Maintain contact between the fingertips of both hands while opening and closing the palms. Perform about 10 minutes.
- Have your hands shook similar to air-drying motion for about 5 minutes/time.
Consult the doctor for some other stretching exercises which can help you improve circulation, mobility and movement of the hands and wrists.
7. Blackstrap Molasses
This ingredient is acknowledged as a great source of magnesium which can significantly support the relaxation of muscles. With various nutrients such as calcium, iron, potassium, B vitamins, it is not hard to see why molasses is presented in the list of home remedies for carpal tunnel syndrome. It is even capable of maintaining good flow of flow in your body.
How to use:
- Take 1 – 2 tablespoons of blackstrap molasses into some warm milk.
- Consume 1 to 2 times every day.
8. Flaxseed Oil
Also called linseed oil, this essential oil can effectively reduce swelling and pain from CTS due to the antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. Together with omega-3 fatty acids, it is an ingredient from the list of home remedies for carpal tunnel syndrome which you should pay more attention .
You can consume 1 – 3 tablespoons of flaxseed oil every day. Also you might include it into your milk, smoothies or juice.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar
It would not be a complete list of home remedies for carpal tunnel syndrome if you forget about apple cider vinegar. It is excellent at alleviating pain and inflammation and together with minerals such as phosphorus, potassium, calcium and magnesium; it will greatly strengthen the bones and muscles .
How to use:
- Take a tablespoon of unfiltered and raw apple cider vinegar with a little bit of honey into some warm water. Consume twice every day.
- Also you might take some vinegar and oil in equal amount to mix together. Use the mixtures to massage the aching area for 2 to 3 times every day.
10. Vitamin B6
This nutrient is an important supportive component for the treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome as it will help you postpone the surgery at hands due to CTS.
Vitamin B6 is essential in the process of neurotransmitter synthesis as well as the metabolism of amino acid. Therefore, vitamin B6 should definitely be included in the list of home remedies for carpal tunnel syndrome .
How to do:
- Consume more foods which are abundant of vitamin B6 such as bran, wheat germ, oatmeal, brown rice, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, hazelnuts, pistachios, tuna, salmon and raw garlic.
- Also you might take the supplement of vitamin B6 for 50 – 100mg twice every day but only after consulting the doctor.
11. Grape Seed Extract
Another excellently effective ingredient from the list of home remedies for carpal tunnel syndrome is the extract of grape seed. You just need to intake about 500 milligrams of extract from grape seed for 2 – 3 times regularly but only after consulting the doctor.
This herb is incredible at alleviating the inflammation and pain occurred from CTS. You just need to take some wintergreen oil and apply directly onto the wrists and then massage. Your muscles will quickly be relaxed as well as the circulation of blood will be improved greatly.
13. Devil’s Claw
This herb is able to make the list of home remedies for carpal tunnel syndrome due to its remarkable anti-inflammatory property. In order to obtain better effect, this herb should be used on a regular basis so that the pain and inflammation can be relieved efficiently .
14. Willow Bark
Similar to devil’s claw, this herb can also bring you relief from inflammation and pain which you might experience from the CTS.
15. Cayenne Pepper
The last tip from the list of home remedies for carpal tunnel syndrome belongs to cayenne pepper. It is popular due to its well-rounded capsaicin compound which can treat the symptoms of CTS just fine.
- Consume more foods which are rich of antioxidant such as cherries, blueberries, tomatoes, bell peppers and squash.
- Have turmeric included into your daily diet. Or you might take the supplement of turmeric for 300mg in 3 times per day.
- Consume healthy oils like olive oil in frying and baking.
- Keep out of red meats. Consume more cold-water fish and lean meats instead.
- Put on a wrist splint during the night but should not make it too tight.
- Make use of wrist pad while using mouse or typing for long period of time.
- Have your arms elevated during your sleep. Do not sleep on hands.
- Keep out of smoking as it might increase the blockage of blood vessels which are narrow as well as make the condition worse.
- Have breaks regularly from work which contains repetitive and strenuous movement of hand like mouse-clicking.
- Keep out of activities which might trigger pain or numbness.
- Perform some yoga exercises which are specialized in strengthening and stretching the joints at the upper body.
- Maintain correct posture in order to decrease the risk of CTS.
- Maintain warm hands by putting on gloves, especially during cold days of the winter.
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!