Calluses refer to a condition in which the skin in some specific areas of the body, commonly in feet or hands, becomes hard and thick. Frequent friction on these areas is believed to be the direct cause of this problem .
What Causes Calluses?
Calluses comes from your habit of wearing uncomfortable shoes. For example, shoes that do not fit will rub your feet frequently cause dry skin.
Besides, those who suffer from some diseases, such as diabetes, are more likely to experience this problem. If the blood circulation in your body does not function well and much blood is not carried to the feet, calluses can probably happen .
When calluses appear, most people do not pay much attention to its treatment because it does not cause severe pain in most cases. However, without the proper treatment, calluses may develop skin infection and trigger swelling or painful feeling. In addition, it is not difficult or expensive to start the callus treatment because you can use some natural ingredients to get rid of calluses immediately at home.
Below are top 15 natural home remedies for calluses that give you a helping hand in getting rid of the symptoms.
You might be thinking that lemon juice is definitely one of the best natural home remedies for calluses, right? Yes, but it is only half of the truth. Both the juice and the peel of a lemon are great for the callus treatment as they are both acidic and strongly anti-inflammatory .
If you prefer using the juice, all you need to do is:
- Squeeze a lemon to get the fresh juice.
- With the help of a cotton ball, rub the juice over the areas affected by calluses before you go to bed. You can use a bandage to keep the cotton ball.
- When you wake up in the morning, remove it and you can repeat the process.
On the other hand, you can cut the peel into small pieces and keep them over the areas affected by calluses. A bandage should be used to prevent the peel from falling as well.
The simplest and probably most common home remedy for calluses is salt. We are used to using salt to rinse our mouth every day because this habit can protect our mouth from bacteria that cause cavities and gum problems, right? The same effect can be seen when you apply for calluses. Removing the bacterial infection effectively, salt will make the skin softer and improve the growth of new skin cells .
- Some spoons of salt should be poured into your bath water.
- Make sure that salt is all dissolved.
- Have your feet soaked in the mixture in at least 10 minutes.
- Then, use clean water to wash the feet so that all dead cells are removed.
Onion might not be your favorite spice because of its smell. However, you should not skip it in the list of top natural home remedies for calluses .
Please read more Top 10 Health Benefits of Onion.
- Cut a white onion into thin slices.
- Mix some slices with white vinegar. You should prepare this mixture several hours before application.
- Take a cotton ball to dip in the mixture and apply over the areas affected by calluses. Cover these areas with a bandage.
You can repeat this method every day before you hit the sack.
4. Baking Soda
Known as a natural exfoliant, baking soda can be considered as one of the most effective home remedies for calluses. The thick and hard skin areas can be exfoliated efficiently by the crystals of baking soda .
- Take 3 spoons of baking soda and pour it into warm water.
- Mix them properly.
- Keep your feet in the mixture in approximately 10 minutes before washing them with clean water.
- Later, you can use a pumice stone to scrub on these areas to eliminate the dead cells.
Another great natural home remedy for calluses that might surprise a lot of people is bread. When combined with vinegar, bread can help you get rid of calluses quickly and stay away from skin infection.
- Firstly, your feet should be soaked in warm water for several minutes.
- Make sure your feet are dry when you use this remedy.
- Cut bread into thin slices and dip each slice into the white vinegar.
- Place the slices over areas affected by calluses and use a bandage to cover them.
This remedy ought to be applied before you to go bed and repeated after you wake up.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar
Vinegar takes part in many home remedies for calluses, but apple cider vinegar itself can become one of the best .
With the support of a cotton ball, you apply apple cider vinegar in the same way as other remedies. Plus, you can rub olive oil or coconut oil on the calluses after washing the vinegar away.
7. Castor Oil
Some natural essential oils are great home remedies for calluses, indeed. And castor oil is just one of them. This natural oil can provide the skin with much moisture, which will make the skin softer and whiter at the same time .
- Your feet should be soaked in warm water for several minutes and then, scrubbed with a pumice stone first.
- Then, you take some drops of castor oil to rub over these areas before covering them with a bandage.
The next natural home remedy for calluses you need to remember is chamomile. With anti-inflammatory quality, chamomile is super beneficial for softening the thick and hard skin and preventing skin infection that is a common consequence of calluses .
- Prepare warm chamomile tea.
- Pour 2-3 cups of the tea into warm water.
- Have your feet or the areas affected by calluses in this mixture in at least 10 minutes.
9. Comfortable Footwear
Calluses are the result of your habit of wearing uncomfortable footwear. Therefore, one of the simplest and most effective ways to get rid of calluses is to change your habit. From now on, you should use footwear that fits your feet properly.
Cornstarch is one of best natural home remedies for calluses and you can even use it to prevent calluses from appearing and disturbing your daily life. All you need to follow is to put a little bit cornstarch into the shoes to prevent dryness in the feet. Cornstarch is also effective to eradicate the bacteria that may accumulate in your shoes and cause foot problems, such as Swollen Feet.
Pineapple is one of few fresh fruits that make it to the list of top natural home remedies for calluses.
- Get a pineapple and cut it into small pieces.
- Keep the piece over the areas affected by calluses with a bandage.
You are recommended to do so before going to bed and continue to apply this remedy until you notice improvements.
Last but not least, if you cannot use all of above-mentioned natural home remedies for calluses, you can resort to aspirin. It is very powerful to deal with the thick and hard skin caused by calluses.
- First, turn several aspirin tablets into powder.
- Mix the powder with half a spoon of lemon juice and ¼ spoon of water.
- Get the paste applied over the areas affected by calluses.
- After 10 minutes, use a warm towel to remove the paste.
- Use warm water to wash your skin.
*Disclaim: The effectiveness from applying these natural tips will be depended on the body condition of the applicant.