What are Bone Spurs?
Also called osteophytes in medical term, bone spurs are the tiny outgrowths of bones which appear along the margins of joint. Bone spurs usually occur on the spine’s back as you ages. However, bone spurs does not exclude any other places such as feet and toes or heels, even on hands .
What cause Bone Spurs?
The main and major cause of bone spurs is due to the tear-and-wear damage related to osteoarthritis. It can come from any consequential or sequential alternation in the formation of bone, which is resulted from mechanical instability or degeneration.
Additionally, overweight, continuous pressure or using joints excessively while exercising or doing sports also contribute to this condition.
Symptoms of Bone Spurs
Bone spurs are often undetected for a long time without any signs. However, when the symptoms appear, it might be sharp pain as well as restrict movement, numbness, swelling and inflammation.
Depend on the location bone spurs appear, the symptoms will be slightly different. Bone spurs in knees will prevent you from bending leg as well as cause pain.
For the spine, they will cause loss of motion and pain. Also when they come on contact with nerves from spinal cord, you might experience numbness and weakness in legs and arms. Spurs on heels can make you incur corns and calluses at feet.
Here are the top 15 most effective home remedies for bone spurs which you can follow easily at home in order to get rid of bone spurs as well as improve your bone health.
1. Cold Compress
The first and simplest from home remedies for bone spurs is cold compress. It can cure inflammation, swelling and pain as well as relax your muscles around the affected area.
How to use:
- Take some ice cubes and use a thin cloth to wrap and tie.
- Apply the pack onto the affected area for at least 10 minutes.
- Perform again if needed.
Note: Avoid applying ice directly onto skin as you can get frostbite.
The all-around ginger is the ingredient you cannot miss from the list of home remedies for bone spurs. With its anti-inflammatory property, inflammation as well as swelling and pain can be relieved. Furthermore, ginger can even improve your circulation of blood .
How to use:
- Consume ginger tea for 3 times per day. In order to prepare the tea, you can take a tablespoon of sliced ginger into some hot water and steep for 10 minutes. Then put in some honey and drink.
- Use ginger oil to massage the affected area couples of time per day.
- Take the 500-milligram-ginger tablet with the dose of 2 tablets for 3 times per day after consulting the doctor.
For more information about the benefits and applications of ginger, please read: Ginger – A Versatile Natural Home Remedy.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Another popular ingredient which belongs to the home remedies for bone spurs is apple cider vinegar. Similar to ginger with the anti-inflammatory property, it can help you relieve inflammation and pain. Moreover, it can restore the balance of pH level and prevent bone spurs from recurring .
How to use:
- Take 1 to 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar into some water and consume twice per day.
- Take a paper towel and soak in vinegar. Apply the towel onto the affected area for couples of hour. Perform few times per day.
Apple cider vinegar beside directly treat bone spurs, it can assist you in losing excessive weight which is also important for the treatment of bone spurs. For more information how to use apple cider vinegar, please read: Top 10 Superfoods for Weight Loss.
Turmeric is extremely easy to obtain; however, its effect is needless to say that it should be at the top of the list of home remedies for bone spurs. The well-known compound name curcumin which contains antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties can relieve you from pain and inflammation .
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of turmeric powder into some milk and warm it up. Consume twice per day.
- Also you can take supplementary pills of turmeric with the dose of 400 – 600 mg for 3 times per day after consulting the doctor.
Turmeric is an excellent spice which has so many incredible properties that can cure various diseases and conditions. In case you want to know more about turmeric, please find it here: 10 Benefits of Turmeric that You Might Not Know About.
For the treatment of bone spurs, flaxseed can be incredibly effective as it contains the alpha-linolenic acid which is a type of omega-3 fatty acids. Therefore, it can help you alleviate inflammation and pain .
How to use:
- Take a piece of cloth and soak in some warm flaxseed oil. Apply the cloth onto the affected area. Take a heat pad and put on top of the cloth to keep warm. Perform once per day.
- Take some flaxseed into a cup and use a towel to wrap and tie. Warm up the cup using microwave and apply it on the affected area for couples of minute. Perform again if needed.
- Also include flaxseed into your regular diet.
There is a herb from home remedies for bone spurs that you should not overlook, which is chamomile. The pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory properties of chamomile area excellent for the treatment of bone spurs which can help you alleviate pain and discomforts efficiently .
How to use:
- Take a tablespoon of either fresh or dried chamomile into some hot water and steep for about 10 minutes. After cooling down, use the liquid to cleanse the affected area.
- Consume 2 to 3 cups of tea per day. In order to prepare, take 2 teaspoons of chamomile into some hot water and steep for 5 minutes. After straining, put in some honey and consume.
7. Epsom Salt
In case you are having severe bone spurs, then this tip from home remedies for bone spurs is the one that you should pay attention. The magnesium-sulfate crystals from Epsom salt can significantly relieve pain, inflammation and swelling.
How to use:
- Take 2 cups of salt into a warm bath.
- Soak yourself for at least 20 minutes.
- Perform 2 to 3 times per week.
Note: Epsom salt is not recommended for people who are diagnosed with diabetes or kidney problems.
For bone spurs at heels, borax is the perfect tip for you from the list of home remedies for bone spurs. The essential minerals can improve the health of bone as well as alleviate inflammation and pain.
How to use:
- Take ½ teaspoon of borax into 4 cups of chlorinated water.
- Dissolve the borax well and soak the feet in the water for at least 20 minutes.
- Perform every day before bedtime for few weeks.
9. Mild Exercises
This tip is extremely important for the treatment of bone spurs as it can improve your mobility as well as prevent the signs of bone spurs.
How to use:
- Practice some stretching exercises for at least 30 minutes for 5 times per week and it is best to do in the morning.
- Practice some exercises for low-impact maintenance in order to improve the core’s strength and stretch the arms and legs’ muscles. Perform at least 5 times per week.
- Practice walking over soft surface using supportive and cushioned shoes for about 30 minutes per day.
- Other activities such as bicycling or swimming are also beneficial.
- Also consult the doctor for best fit exercises.
10. Dietary Changes
Another aspect which you need to pay attention during the treatment of bone spurs is your diet. Consume foods that are healthy and should contain omega-3 fatty acids, calcium, magnesium as well as vitamin E, D and K.
Especially, omega-3 fatty acids together with vitamin E can significantly help you decrease inflammation from bone spurs. At the same time, vitamin K and D will strengthen your bones and help you avoid abnormal mineralization of cartilage and bone. Calcium and magnesium is essential for pain-relieving.
Note: In case you are taking supplementary pills, remember to consult the doctor.
Whenever talking about problems related to bone, milk cannot be left out. Therefore, milk is most important tip from the home remedies for bone spurs that you must take note. It is an extremely well-known source for vitamin D which is needed for the treatment of bone spurs. Consume milk regularly can improve the healing of bone spurs .
12. Coconut Oil
The pain-relieving property as well as the importance for bone formation in your body is what makes coconut oil included in the home remedies for bone spurs. You can take some coconut and warm it up. Then use the warm oil to massage the affected area for couples of minute. Perform every day before bedtime.
13. Baking Soda
This can be considered the perfect tip within the home remedies for bone spurs. The reason is because baking soda has the crystals which help you avoid deposited calcium appearing at heels. You can make a paste from baking soda with some water. Use the paste to apply onto the affected area for a while. The pain will be relieved and bone spurs might be healed in couples of day.
You might not believe that the common vegetables which are usually for cooking can cure such complex problems as bone spurs. However, it is actually a decent tip from home remedies for bone spurs that you might prefer later on.
You can take a fresh cabbage leaf and warm it up to make it soft. Put the leaf onto the affected area to help you relieve inflammation.
15. Resting and Footwear
The simplest methods that you can do right away in order to improve your condition and prevent bone spurs from recurring is resting and paying attention to your footwear. Nicely fitted and comfortable shoes can help you avoid bone spurs rather efficiently.
- Lose excessive weight can help you decrease pressure on the affected area.
- In case of heel spurs, you can take a foot bath by changing hot and cold water for couples of minute.
- Remember to take warm-up exercises because starting any activity physically.
- Keep out of junk and processed foods, soft drinks or any hydrogenated fats as they might cause imbalance in mineral level of the body.
- Take some OTC lotion or cream in order to alleviate inflammation and pain.
- Avoid stress as it might exacerbate your pain.
- Meditation and yoga as well as acupuncture can be helpful in providing relief of inflammation and pain from bone spurs.
- Always maintain proper posture can help you avoid and relieve pain from bone spurs.
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!