What are Blisters on Tongue?
Blisters on tongue are common for many people. You can have tongue blisters if you accidentally bite your tongue with your teeth or grind your teeth. They can also form by suddenly scalding your tongue. Other causes of blisters on tongue are canker sores, burning syndrome, food allergies, mouth ulcers, enlarged papillae, viral infections or medical conditions like anemia, diabetes and even oral cancer. Eating too much fatty foods, excessive smoking or vitamin B deficiency can be the causes of blisters as well .
Tongue blisters may be white or yellow and are surrounded by reddened areas. You can feel extreme pain if you are experiencing blisters. They won’t allow you to eat food properly and you will find it very hard to taste the food. However, tongue blisters are not a serious problem and they will disappear after a few days. But you can try some home remedies to make it disappears faster.
Here are the top 15 most effective home remedies for blister on tongue which are extremely easy for you to apply at home in order to heal your tongue blisters and prevent them from disturbing your appetite any more.
1. Baking Soda
Baking soda is an effective home remedy for blisters on tongue. It can soothe pain and inflammation because of the anti-inflammatory property. Therefore, it is very effective when treating tongue blisters. Moreover, it can restore the pH balance in the mouth .
- Add a teaspoon of baking soda to a glass of warm water.
- Swish the mixture around your tongue and your mouth for a couple of minutes before spitting it out.
- Another option is preparing a paste with a little water and a teaspoon of baking soda.
- Apply it on the affected area and wait for several minutes before rinsing your mouth with warm water.
- You can follow any of these tips 3 to 4 times a day until the blisters disappear.
You can make treatments of blisters on tongue by using basil. Basil can ease the pain and inflammation thanks to its anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and antibacterial properties. It can speed up the healing process as well .
- Wash some basil leaves carefully.
- Chew the leaves then swallow them and sip a little water.
- Follow this solution 2 times daily for 3 to 4 days.
3. Vitamin B
Because tongue blisters appear because of a deficiency in vitamin B, you can get rid of the blisters by eating more foods that contain vitamin B. This vitamin can make a perfect treatment of blisters on tongue to eliminate and prevent the condition as well .
Eat foods that contain vitamin B such as oats, bananas, eggs, bran, whole grains, salmon, turkey, avocados, liver and dairy products like cheese, yogurt, milk and others.
Another option is taking vitamin B supplements for a week to improve the conditions. You can find out more at: Home Remedies for Depression.
You can soothe the pain caused by blisters by using ice because it has the numbing effect that can be able to relief the pain. It can reduce inflammation and swelling, which are the common symptoms of blisters on tongue, as well.
- Hold ice cubes or ice chips directly on the blisters until they become numb.
- You can also rub the ice cube on the blisters.
- Another option is taking ice cold water once in a while to reduce the pain.
Coriander can be able to get rid of tongue blisters because of its strong antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. It can also reduce the accompanying inflammation and pain .
- Boil a teaspoon of coriander leaves or seeds in a glass of water.
- Strain the solution and rinse your mouth with it.
- Follow this remedy 3 to 4 times a day until you see the result.
6. Hydrogen Peroxide
This is another way to make home remedies for blisters on tongue. It can reduce the risk of infection and kill the bacteria because of the strong disinfectant and antibacterial properties. You should use 3 percent of hydrogen peroxide .
- Take an equal amount of warm water and hydrogen peroxide then mix them together.
- Use a clean cotton swab to apply it on the blisters on tongue.
- Wait for 2 minutes before rinsing your mouth with warm water.
- Follow this tip for a couple of times daily.
Note: You should be careful with the amount you are applying.
7. Tea Tree Oil
- Mix a couple of drops of tea tree oil and a glass of water.
- Rinse your mouth with this mixture 2 times a day for several days.
We can use salt to make treatments of blisters on tongue because it can ease the pain and inflammation. Moreover, it can prevent infection and kill bacteria .
- Add a teaspoon of salt to a glass of lukewarm water then mix them together.
- Swish the mixture around in your mouth for at least 30 seconds before spitting it out.
- After that, put a pinch of salt directly on the affected area for a minute then use warm water to rinse your mouth.
- Follow this tip 4 to 5 times a day until the blisters disappear.
9. Aloe Vera
This is another effective home remedy for blisters on tongue because of its antibacterial properties and natural healing. Furthermore, it can ease the inflammation and pain as well as speed up healing .
- Extract the Aloe Vera gel by cutting an Aloe Vera leaf.
- Apply the gel on the blisters on tongue then wait for 5 minutes.
- Use lukewarm water to rinse your mouth.
- Repeat this remedy a couple of times daily for 3 to 4 days.
Another remedy to treat blisters on tongue is using turmeric. It can reduce the inflammation and the pain thanks to its antiseptic properties .
- Take a tablespoon of honey and ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder then mix them together.
- Use your finger to apply the paste on the blisters then wait for at least 3 minutes.
- Next, rinse it off with warm water.
- Follow this solution 3 to 4 times a day for a couple of days.
- Another option is adding ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder to a cup of warm milk.
- Drink this milk once a day to promote healing.
Drink a lot of water every day can help you reduce the formation of blisters. You should keep a bottle of water nearby so that you will not forget to drink water. Furthermore, drinking lots of water can keep your tongue wet all the time. As a result, it can ease the pain.
12. Ginger and Garlic
Ginger and garlic can also be used to get rid of the blister formation in your mouth. You should eat more garlic and ginger. You can also add them in your daily meal and daily cooking so that you won’t get bored .
13. Avoid Spicy Food
If you are experiencing blisters, you should avoid spicy foods as far as possible. Spicy foods can give more burning sensation to your tongue. As a result, you will feel even more pain. They provide a bad effect to the healing process as well because of the citric acid content in it.
14. Clove Oil
This is another treatment of blisters on tongue. Mix ½ teaspoon of olive oil and 4 to 5 drops of clove essential oil with warm water. Then use a cotton ball to dab the solution over your tongue to make the particular portion numb .
15. Natural Oil Spray
You can also follow this remedy to deal with blisters.
- Prepare a natural oil spray with 2 spoons of olive oil, some drops of eucalyptus essential oil, a few drops of grape seed oil and 10 drops of peppermint essential oil.
- Add these on a spraying bottle then spray the solution over your tongue.
- Follow this remedy 2 to 3 times daily until you see the result.
*Disclaim: The effectiveness from applying these natural tips will be depended on the body condition of the applicant.