Table of Contents
In this article, Authority Remedies aims to assist you to find out effective home remedies for bacterial vaginosis as well as basic information on the definition, causes, and symptoms of this problem.
Bacterial vaginosis becomes one of the various diseases attacking mostly the female reproductive system. Basically, the female reproductive system is more prone to a wide variety of infections than the system in the male. This can be mainly caused by the larger surface area that is exposed, and the sensitivity to bacteria and pH changes.
What is Bacterial Vaginosis?
Many people are usually confused Bacterial vaginosis with other inflammatory diseases of the vagina, but are they the same condition?
While vaginitis refers to the bacterial infection inside the vagina, vaginosis is the term used to call the imbalanced environment, results from the overgrowth of the natural bacteria inside the genital tract. This can lead to pain, itching sensation and even discharge.
This problem appeared might be due to the balance level of bacteria in the vagina is disturbed or sometimes infections or even low level of estrogen after menopause. Basically, the vagina is loaded with some natural bacteria and other microorganisms that playing such a crucial role in its functioning.
There are 4 most common types of vaginitis which are:
- Bacterial Vaginosis: happens due to the excessive growth by one of many organisms housing in the vagina.
- Yeast Infections: caused by a fungus called Candida Albicans which is naturally occurred .
- Trichomoniasis: occurred due to parasites which are spread through sexual intercourse .
- Vaginal Atrophy (Atrophic Vaginitis): happened due to the low level of estrogen after menopause .
Besides, one crucial thing to remember is: bacterial vaginosis is not classified as sexually transmitted infections (STIs), thas it why you will not develop this condition by sexual intercourse. That is why the treatment for your partner is not essential in this case; sometimes using home remedies for bacterial vaginosis is more preferred.
What causes Bacterial Vaginosis?
One of the leading causes of this disease is due to the change in the number of bacteria happening in the vagina. Normally, the biological and chemical imbalance of the normal vaginal flora is partly contributed to vaginal bacteriosis.
Other causes can vary for each type of bacterial vaginosis.
- Bacterial Vaginosis: In normal circumstances, the lactobacilli which are the good bacteria will outnumber the anaerobes which are the bad bacteria. However, in the case when the anaerobes are excessive, then bacterial vaginosis will occur. This often happens together with sexual intercourse and women who have multiple sex partners or just have a new sex partner recently or sometimes when women who are not sexually active.
- Yeast Infections:C. Albicans is responsible for the majority of vaginal infections. Moreover, this fungus also infects other areas of the body which are moist such as nail bed, skin fold or even mouth. Diaper rashes also caused by this fungus.
- Trichomoniasis: A microscopic and one-cell parasite named Trichomonas Vaginalis is the cause of this problem. It is transmitted through sexual intercourse with infected individuals. For men, this parasite can cause infection in the urinary tract; however, no symptom is detected. For women, there are symptoms incurred by this infection.
- Noninfectious Vaginitis: Toiletry products such as scent detergents, perfumed soaps, spermicidal products or vaginal sprays can make your vaginal tissues, as well as the vulvar, irritate and have reactions to allergies. Also, menopause and surgery of ovaries removal can thin your vaginal lining which will make your vagina experience the burning and itching sensation.
What are the risk factors for bacterial vaginosis?
There are plenty of social, sexual and hygiene behaviors that contribute to the presence of bacterial vaginosis. Most of these elements disrupt the balanced condition of the vaginal environment, thus stimulate the growth of harmful agents or aggravate the symptoms.
Knowing the risk factors of bacterial vaginosis help you keep yourself free from exposing those elements:
- Having new or multiple sexual partners without using condoms increases the rate of bacterial vaginosis and other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).
- The uncircumcised male is associated with a higher number of bacterial vaginosis in their female partners. Scientists suggest that the foreskin could be a potential location of harmful germs.
- Female who have sex with the female are more likely to suffer bacterial vaginosis, as it is easier for bacteria to transfer through vaginal secretion during direct contact.
- Bacterial vaginosis is more likely to develop in the woman who has more than three male partners or one female partner within one year.
- Woman with history of pregnant in the past one year is associated with a higher rate of bacterial vaginosis.
- Smoking and lack of hormonal contraception are doubted to be the risk factors of bacterial vaginosis, but more evidence needs to be collected.
Symptoms of Bacterial Vaginosis
Common signs and symptoms of vaginitis can be:
- There are changes in amount as well as odor and color of your vaginal discharge
- Irritation and itching feeling
- Experience pain while intercourse as well as urination
- Spot or bleed lightly from the vagina
Also, there are distinguishable symptoms for each type of vaginitis.
- Bacterial Vaginosis: Discharge can have foul-smell with the color of grayish-white. After sexual intercourse, the odor can be described as fish-like.
- Yeast Infection: Itchiness is the most obvious symptoms; also there will be white, thick and cottage-cheese-like discharge.
- Trichomoniasis: There are frothy with the color of the greenish yellow discharge.
In case, you have one of those characteristics below; it is recommended having the doctor consult for your condition.
- Never experience infections in the vagina or have already experience infections; however, this time it is somehow different.
- Currently having multiple sexual partners or recently have a new one.
- Have been through medications but the symptoms did not subside.
In spite of the fact that the symptoms along with vaginal bacteriosis are considered mild and easy to deal with, the impact of the infection on people’s lifestyle can be fairly huge. For instance, women can be uncomfortable with this unpleasant smell.
Additionally, this is accompanied by the discharge that can cause discomfort and greatly interfere with the sex life of a female. All result in stress that negatively affects the overall health condition.
Does home remedies for bacterial vaginosis really help?
As mentioned above, this condition is not a real inflammation of the genital tract, so you can totally keep yourself free from harmful bacteria without using prescribed medications. Home remedies for bacterial vaginosis vary from daily products to daily habits. They are simple and easy to do, and some of the natural ingredients have already been available in your kitchen!
We will mention about the medications below, but first, let’s have a look at the top 20 simplest home remedies for bacterial vaginosis and see what you can do then!
Here are the top 20 most effective home remedies for bacterial vaginosis which you can easily apply at home in order to help get rid of the bacterial infection as well as prevent them from coming back and disturbing your life.
By containing the lactobacilli which are beneficial for your vagina, yogurt is one of the top home remedies for bacterial vaginosis. Also yogurt can help you maintain a balance level of pH as well as reduce discomforts .
How to use:
- Use a tampon to apply yogurt inside your vagina for few hours. Perform twice per day.
- Consume yogurt on a daily basis.
For more information about the benefits and applications of yogurt, please read How to Get Rid of Vaginal Odor.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
The acidic property from vinegar will help you keep a balance level of pH, thus maintain a balance in the number of bacteria for your vagina. Accordingly, you should never miss this bacterial vaginosis natural treatment.
How to use:
- Take 2 tablespoons of vinegar into the warm water. Use this solution to cleanse the vagina twice per day for couples of day.
- Another option is taking 1 to 2 tablespoons of vinegar with some honey into some warm water and consume twice per day.
Apple cider vinegar is without a doubt the greatest home remedy due to its effectiveness against many diseases and ailments. You can find out more at Home Remedies for Fibroids.
3. Cold Compress
This is extremely effective at relieving you from discomforts, pain, inflammatory and itching sensation through numb the affected area. This bacterial infection natural treatment in the vagina is recommended in case you need to ease the symptoms immediately.
How to use:
- Use a piece of clean cloth to wrap few ice cubes.
- Apply to your vagina for a minute.
- After another minute of the break, re-apply.
- Perform for couples of time and remember to apply this remedy anytime needed.
- Another option is cleansing your vagina using cold water for couples of time per day.
The antiseptic and antibacterial from garlic are significantly essential for improving your immune system in order to control yeast or bacterial infections. Due to its strong effect, garlic is often considered the best natural solution for how to get rid of bacterial vaginosis .
How to use garlic as one of the strongest home remedies for bacterial vaginosis:
- Make a mixture of some drops of garlic oil with a half teaspoon of coconut and vitamin E oil. Directly apply this mixture on the affected area twice per day for couples of day.
- Add garlic to your cooking daily as well as consume few cloves of garlic on a daily basis.
- Take garlic supplementary pills after consulting the doctor.
5. Boric Acid
The antifungal and antiseptic properties are extremely helpful at relieving discomforts such as irritation, itchiness, and pain. Also, it can even assist you in keeping a balanced level of pH and cleansing the vagina. This method is one of the optimal solutions when you think about how to get rid of bacterial vaginosis .
How to use:
- Take a gel capsule to contain some boric acid.
- Put this capsule inside your vagina before sleeping.
- After waking up, cleanse your vagina using warm water.
- Perform 1 to 2 times per week.
Note: Avoid using for women who are pregnant.
With a nature of relaxing and soothing, chamomile can effectively alleviate swelling and pain together with itching and burning sensation. Not only be one of the nest home remedies for bacterial vaginosis, this herb can effectively and efficiently alleviate the symptoms and assist you significantly in the bacterial infection natural treatment in the vagina .
How to use:
- Take a tea bag of chamomile into a glass of hot water.
- After about 1 minute, take the tea bag out and keep in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Put the tea bag inside the vagina.
- Squirt the tea bag in order to allow the water can reach the vaginal canals which are inflamed.
- Perform for 1 to 2 times per day until the symptoms are subsided.
7. Hydrogen Peroxide
This solution can help you disinfect and control the growth of harmful bacteria. Furthermore, it can even help ease itchiness, pain, and inflammation. Remember to use only 3% hydrogen peroxide in home remedies for bacterial infection .
How to use:
- Make a solution from water and hydrogen peroxide in equal amount.
- Cleanse your vagina using this solution and after 10 minutes, cleanse again using cold water.
- Perform 1 to 2 times per day for couples of day.
8. Tea Tree Oil
The antifungal and antibacterial properties of tea tree oil can help you eliminate the odor of vagina as well as alleviate symptoms and improve the treatment for bacterial infection of the vagina . It is considered as one of the best home remedies for bacterial vaginosis with antioxidant agents.
How to use:
- Take few drops of tea tree oil into some warm water.
- Use this solution to cleanse the vagina.
- Perform once per day for couples of day.
Note: Avoid using for women who are pregnant.
It is efficient at helping you maintain a balanced level of the hormone as well as stabilizing the menstrual cycle which is essential for bacterial infection natural treatment of the vagina. You can soak two tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in water overnight. In the morning, remove the seeds and consume the water while your stomach is still empty.
Well-known for its anti-inflammatory and antibiotic properties, it can help you decrease the swelling significantly and control the infections’ symptoms. Therefore, this herb is considered the top among the best home remedies for bacterial vaginosis besides garlic .
11. Cranberry Juice
The acidic nature of cranberry is perfect for the treatment of bacterial infection in the vagina which will give you more control over infections by bacteria, especially vaginitis. Consuming cranberry juice on a daily basis in your normal diet will effectively assist you in how to get rid of bacterial vaginosis for good.
Cranberry and its juice can prevent effectively many diseases for women. You can find out more at Home Remedies for Urinary Tract Infection.
By boosting the immunity, it can help you improve the healing process and control the infections, which makes it an ideal home remedy for bacterial vaginosis. In case you are having severe symptoms, 500mg of Echinacea for four times per day should be taken; however, do consult the doctor for appropriate dosage before taking as well as allergic test.
13. Oregano Oil
Among the home remedies for bacterial vaginosis, the antifungal property of oregano is potent as it is extremely effective at alleviating inflammation and itchiness as well as improving the immunity for bacterial infection natural treatment from bacteria or yeast. Take a dosage of about 500 mg of oregano oil twice per day until the infections are subsided .
14. Coconut Oil
Another excellent home remedy for bacterial vaginosis that you should take into consideration is coconut oil. It is loaded with natural antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral agents that can help kill the germs as well as banish them from returning.
How to use:
- Dip a tampon in fresh coconut oil and place it in the vagina
- Wait for a few hours and wash off with warm water after removing the tampon
- Perform the treatment once per day in a few days
Alternatively, you can rub coconut oil directly over the affected area for about three times per day until getting some better improvements.
15. Indian Lilac
Known as margosa or neem, Indian lilac is one of the most effective home remedies for bacterial vaginosis thanks to its antifungal as well as antibacterial agents. It helps ease the itching and inflammation, followed by killing germs leading to this infection.
How to use:
- Warm some leaves in a pan and do not need to add water
- Let the leave cool down and mash them into powder
- Take two teaspoons of this powder and add to water to create a paste
- Rub the paste around and in the vagina
- Leave it on for 30 minutes and wash with warm water
- Practice the treatment two times daily
16. Vegetable Juice
Vegetable juice can be made by blending various types of fresh vegetable, typically with apple or pineapple to enhance the flavor. However, remember to limit the carbohydrate intake by avoiding the excessive amount of sugar in your drinks.
You can add some vegetable juice to your diet since it is extremely good for treating bacterial vaginosis. Vegetable juice can have parsley, garlic, ginger, and green – a combination of the best home remedies for bacterial vaginosis which have amazing effect for easing itching and relieving pain caused by bacterial vaginosis.
17. Cold Water
If you are suffering from bacterial vaginosis, do not ignore cold water because it can be a perfect home remedy for this problem. A cloth dipped in cold water can be out across the affected area to offer the relief from swelling as well as redness caused by the constriction of blood vessels. Cold water is widely known as one of the fastest ways to cure burning sensation and pain.
Tracheal can be on your list of top home remedies for bacterial vaginosis. Known as a herb, tracheal can help flush out toxins in your body. You can simply add a teaspoon of tracheal leaves to some hot water and drink it to help remove the toxins and relieve the symptoms of this infection.
19. Build Your Immunity
A strong and healthy immune system will be your greatest assistant in controlling infections and it is the most recommended among most effective home remedies for bacterial vaginosis.
- Consume more vitamin A and C as well as iron, selenium, and zinc.
- Consume foods which are beneficial for your immune system such as orange, strawberry, apple, broccoli, sweet potato, carrot, mushroom, cayenne pepper, garlic, ginger.
- Consume about 8 to 10 glasses of water per day.
- Regularly sunbath every morning in order to maintain a balanced level of vitamin D.
- Take an appropriate amount of sleep and rest every day.
- Exercise for at least 30 minutes per day and at least 5 days per week.
- Maintain a positive view of life.
20. Maintain Vaginal Hygiene
It is a great measure which you cannot take it for granted as it can be the primary remedy for helping you find the solution for how to get rid of bacterial vaginosis and prevent infections from bacteria and yeast .
- Keep changing your underwear on a daily basis, wash them using hot water and dry using sunlight.
- Avoid wearing tight-fitting underwear. Prefer wearing underwear made from cotton and loose-fitting clothes.
- Keep out of panty liner or synthetic-fiber underwear.
- Avoid cleansing your vagina excessively.
- Keep your vagina out of soap or bubble bath.
- Keep out of toilet paper with perfume or other feminine products for hygiene.
- Remember to use wipe from front to back after going to the toilet.
- Get out of wet clothes as quick as possible such as swimsuit.
Complications of bacterial vaginosis – When to see your doctor
Having bacterial vaginosis without proper treatment could lead to some severe complications that significantly affect the reproductive system as well as the general health. Those complications include:
- Pelvic inflammation diseases (PIDs). This inflammatory condition might affect the pelvic organs like uterus, fallopian tubes, and ovaries. Pelvic pain is the most frequent symptom of PIDs, which ranges from mild to severe levels. If left untreated, PIDs can result in reproductive problems like miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy, or infertility.
- Pregnancy complications. The vaginal imbalanced environment, which supports the overgrowth of harmful bacteria, is a potential risk of premature rupture during pregnancy period. It is also associated with low-birth-weight infants.
- Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). If you currently have bacterial vaginosis, you are at higher risk of getting STDs (HIV, chlamydia, and gonorrhea), compared with normal people.
- Post-surgical infections. Evidence has shown that post-surgical infections are more likely to develop in women with bacterial vaginosis. There is a high chance that harmful bacteria will attack the lesions, especially in pelvic surgery (such as hysterectomy or abortion).
It should be clarified that bacterial vaginosis is not a severe genital inflammation, but you need to take it into account, or there will be complications. Consult your doctor when:
- You notice any abnormal signs of the reproductive system and suspect other conditions.
- The symptoms get worse and affect your daily activities.
- The home remedies for bacterial vaginosis does not help.
- You are or intend to be pregnant.
- You have other genital issues combining.
- You suffer more severe symptoms when using home remedies for bacterial vaginosis.
Which medications are suitable for bacterial vaginosis?
To make sure you have bacterial vaginosis and eliminate other inflammations, your vaginal secretion sample should be collected and analyzed. Then, if you are diagnosed with this disease, sometimes proper medications will be prescribed along with home remedies for bacterial vaginosis.
- Antibiotics.You will receive both oral and topical type of antibiotics. According to the Centers for Diseases Control and Preventions (CDC), Metronidazole 1000 mg should be taken within 7 days. Besides, you can choose Metronidazole gel 0.75% or Clindamycin cream 2% to use intravaginally within 7 days.
- Intravaginal lactobacillus. This probiotic formulation shows effectiveness in rebalancing the vaginal flora.
- Manage other STDs. It is highly recommended that you perform some screenings to make sure there are no other complications.
What to do when taking medications
- Avoid using alcohol until at least 72 hours after completing the antibiotics treatment.
- Clindamycin cream is prescribed in case of intolerance or allergic to Metronidazole.
- The pregnant woman needs to consult doctor carefully before taking any medications.
- Metronidazole appears in breast milk in minimal amount, but there is no evidence of adverse effects related to the metronidazole consumption.
- Treatment for your sexual partner is not necessary.
- You can both use home remedies for bacterial vaginosis when taking medications, and keep this routine after the treatment period.
Frequent ask questions
Could I have recurring bacterial vaginosis?
Yes, it is possible for bacterial vaginosis to appear within three months, so you need to keep following up and manage the vaginal care up to three months after the treatment. Taking care of the reproductive health will keep yourself free from bacterial vaginosis and other STDs, in this case, using home remedies for bacterial vaginosis is a good option.
Could a contraceptive device cause bacterial vaginosis?
Most women are not aware that using a contraceptive device (or intrauterine device – IUD) is a risk factor for bacterial vaginosis. Any items that change the natural environment inside the genital tract could support the overgrowth of harmful bacteria, in this case, the vaginal environment.
Is it possible to have bacterial vaginosis if I haven’t had sex before?
Yes, you still can develop this situation even when you haven’t had sex previously. Remember, there are many risk factors for bacterial vaginosis, including wearing tight pants or using perfume near the vaginal area. Thus, using home remedies for bacterial vaginosis to prevent this disease and improve the general reproductive health is highly recommended.
Bacterial vaginosis is the imbalanced condition of the vaginal flora, in which the harmful bacteria outweigh the present of the good germs. It results in uncomfortable feelings of the genital tract, which may lead to some complications.
Besides prescribed medications, a good hygiene combining with home remedies for bacterial vaginosis are recommended to get rid of this condition. They are not hard to find, so why don’t you try some of those remedies above to see how the situation could improve?
Don’t hesitate to ask if you have any questions; we are ready to help you!
Please click LIKE and SHARE this article if you find it helpful!
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!