Table of Contents
Ants are not harmful creature; indeed they are lovely friends until they invade our houses, trail on kitchen walls and get to our food.
Besides, although most of household ants are hurtles, some of them got toxic that can cause redness, blisters and itches to human if they bite.
For prevention, many people resort to ant killer products or pesticide that is not completely safe for children and animals. They are the ones who are not aware of the same function of many other natural and available materials at home, which can be used to chase ants away.
Here are 10 home remedies to get rid of ants that you should make use of immediately to eliminate annoying problems caused by this invaders.
Do not wait until the problem comes up that you start to rush for solutions. The first and best home remedy for ant infestation is prevention. Here are some tips to keep the ants away.
- Always keep your house clean, especially the kitchen
- Clean the furniture surface, especially the floor after meal
- Cover tightly all the food sources which can attract ants
- Wash the dishes after every meal
- Empty your trash bins everyday
- Keep counters and furniture clean and dry
The pleasant smell of peppermint becomes extremely repellent to insect. It is able to make ants annoyed and get them confused when detecting food sources. That is the reason why it is on top of the list of home remedies to get rid of ants .
- Use the diluted solution of water and peppermint oil to spray all over your house.
- Alternatively, leave some dried peppermint around your house, especially the doors, ways, garbage areas and kitchen
Learn more about other benefits of peppermint at Home Remedies for Sinus Infection
- Make the solution of cinnamon oil and water in the ratio of 1:2
- Use a cotton ball soaked in the solution to clean the areas off.
- Alternatively, you can put cinnamon near the entryways.
4. Cucumber peel
Besides the effect of beauty treatments, cucumber is also used as age-old home remedy for ants, thanks to its taste. For better result, you should use bitter cucumbers
- Put cucumber’s peels in the areas of ant activity
- Keep replacing the fresh peel until there are no ant left
5. White vinegar
Another available ingredient at home that can be used to make home remedies for ants to evict these invaders is white vinegar since it can clean ants’ scent trails and make them lose direction to food source .
- Mix white vinegar and water in the ratio of 1:1
- Spray the solution all the entryways or any areas that ants present
- For better result, add any essential oil to the solution
- Do this everyday until the ants are gone
6. Cayenne pepper
Similar to the effects of cinnamon, the strong smell of cayenne pepper makes the ants go out of their way to avoid any pepper-scented areas. Thus, they get lost on the way to food source or home and have to find another places to go .
- Sprinkle your own trail of chili powder along the same trail of ants or any areas ants appear
- Alternatively, you can use the mixture of cayenne pepper and turmeric powder to chase the ants away
Note: Be careful with using cayenne pepper to get rid of ants if your home has children or pets
Also, cayenne pepper is often used to treat heath problems. For further information, read more at Home Remedies for Swollen Glands.
Borax has been long used as an effective pesticide for getting rid of ants’ problems. After ingesting borax, the ants cannot survive.
- Mix the borax and food jelly or sweet food with the same amounts to attract the ants
- Put it in the areas where ants crowd
- Another way, make a firm paste of borax, cornmeal and water then put it in ant areas
Note: Be cautious with borax around children and pets
Lemon has so many wonderful effects besides a cooking spice and one of them is getting rid of ants. It is used to clean ant scent trails, making the ants lose their direction toward food or home .
- Sprinkle lemon juice on the doorways, kitchen and any areas ants appear
- Alternatively, leave the lemon peel around the house or any areas that have ants
Learn more about other benefit of lemon at Home Remedies for Glowing Skin.
9. Food – grade diatomaceous earth (DE)
Food-grade diatomaceous earth is often used as an efficient home remedy for ants, making the ants’ body dry out.
- Sprinkle DE around your house, especially in your kitchen, garbage areas or any areas that ants appear
- Keep doing this until all the ants disappear
Note: Always keep the DE dry, otherwise it will not work
10. Liquid dish soap
Last but not least, dish soap can be very helpful in the fight against ant invasion. Not only can dish soap get rid of ants but it also wipe all cockroaches out of your house.
- Use the solution of liquid soap and baking soda with water to spray it all the areas ants appear
- Alternatively, you can mix well the dish soap with water in the ratio of 1:2 then spray it over the same areas.
- The ants will soon disappear
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!