Table of Contents
In this article, we will introduce you some best home remedies for anal itching which can work all the time.
Honestly, we are all there and pretending that you are focusing on finding ways to get relief. You can feel embarrassed to talk about this sensitive problem like anal itching; however, it is such a popular matter with various causes. No matter how the case is, there remains a great number of home remedies for anal itching which work well all the time, including fresh ingredients around your kitchen.
What is Anal Itching?
Anal itching or in a medical term known as pruritus ani is the problem that does not avoid anyone. However, the issue is more familiar with people from 30 to 50 years of age and men do often encounter this problem more than women .
Facts on Anal Itching
- Anal itching (or perianal itching) can happen near and around the anus, which is known as the opening of the bowels.
- Anal itching is found mostly on men. Additionally, no cause is identified most of the time.
Factors that put people most at risk for anal itching are
- Dietary factors
- Fecal soilage (like fecal issue leaking on the underwear or any underclothing)
- Type 1 as well as type 2 diabetes
- Frequent antibiotic use
- Some chronic dry skin problems, including psoriasis, and seborrhea
- Profuse sweating
- The best treatment for anal itching contains some medications and home remedies.
- Depending heavily on anal itching causes, this problem can be completely stopped by wearing loose underwear, changing toilet tissue or getting rid of food irritants.
Symptoms of Anal Itching
The main symptom will be itchy and rather intense, which often appear after the movement of the bowel. Clear signs are redness, soreness, irritation with the burning feeling around the anus area.
What causes Anal Itching?
The fecal soilage is the main reason which is accounted for the irritating skin. Older people, especially people who have suffered from diarrhea and seepage or some other fecal matters are more likely to experience anal itching. Besides, old people whose anal skin get hard or people with hemorrhoid problem will get anal itching issue .
Another cause which disregards the age is the poor hygiene. However, being overly hygiene can also cause the anal itching due to the constantly wiping using dry toilet paper. Sometimes, issue such as constipation for a long time can become the cause of anal itching.
There are many other factors which do not cause anal itching but rather worsen the problem such as sweating in hot weather with tight clothes and nonabsorbent or high-percentage of nylon underwear. Activities such as running, sitting on a plastic chair for a long time or even riding a bike can limit the flow of air which hinders the sweat evaporation and cause anal itching.
Anal itching can be easily diagnosed by your doctor when he or she asks you questions about symptoms, personal habits or medical history. As pinworms are detected, the doctor can suggest a test for them. Also, he or she can offer you a physical exam such as the digital rectal examination.
Once causes of anal itching do not get obvious, doctors can lead you to a skin dermatologist or a doctor specializing in curing rectal as well as anal problems (called proctologist). They might conduct other tests, including colonoscopy or proctoscopy to notice more digestive tract. However, it is possible that the cause of anal itching cannot be identified.
Is The Anal Itching Dangerous?
In fact, the itchy anus does not pose any threat to your health. However, it needs treating on time since if left untreated, the problem can cause another dangerous health issues, containing big or small labia or scrotum itching, which is known as one of the leading causes of the inflammation influencing fertility.
Anal itching can lead to inflammation cracking your anal wrinkle. Therefore, you can have to contract deterioration of your nerve, appetite loss, sleeping loss, or discomfort surrounding your anus.
Take note that anal itching is quite dangerous for the woman because the structure of anal locates near your vagina; meanwhile, there remain lots of bacteria in your anus. Hence, it is not difficult to trigger dangerous health matters for the females’ fertility.
Also, anal itching is a sign of revealing severe health diseases like fistula, anal fissure, skin inflammation or hemorrhoids owing to anal eczema, pinworm or nerves.
When Should You Come to Visit Your Doctor for Anal Itching?
- If your anal itching is related to any lump, discharge, rash, fever, or bleeding, call the doctor immediately. You need the prescription medicine to let the problem disappear.
- When small children have difficulties in sleeping at night due to the intense itching, it can be a symptom of the pinworms, and this will request medical attention.
- It might become rare that you want to visit the hospital for anal itching treatment. Contact the doctor if you think that you badly need medical help.
Home Remedies for Anal Itching
In case you do not like the medical intervention, home remedies for anal itching can help. Anal itching is uncomfortable and inconvenient which can embarrass you occasionally. However, it can be cured excellently with just a few simple steps of home remedies and a little change in lifestyle. If the symptoms are getting severe as the itch does not go away for a while, you will need to seek professional medical attention.
Here are 18 useful home remedies for anal itching which you can try easily at home in order to eliminate the itchiness of your anus and get rid of the discomforts…
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
The first ingredient on the list of home remedies for anal itching is apple cider vinegar. With the anti-bacterial function that can be effective against fungal infections, you can use the apple cider vinegar to prevent and control the infections which cause anal itching .
- Dilute about 02 teaspoons of raw vinegar into a cup of water and drink it twice a day
- For reducing the anal itching, pour 1 cup of vinegar into the hot bath, take the bath for 15 to 20 minutes and repeat on a daily basis.
Keep doing the steps above until the itchy feeling is lessened.
Apple cider vinegar is a very popular remedy due to its fantastic capability in fighting against fungus and bacteria. You can find out more about the use of apple cider vinegar at: Home Remedies for Body Odor and Oral Thrush.
Garlic is slow, but it is mentioned in the top useful home remedies for anal itching. It eliminates the worms in the intestines and with its antibacterial, antiseptic and anti-fungal functions; it can prevent almost every infection that can cause anal itching .
How to use:
- Consume 2 to 3 cloves of garlic when your stomach is still empty for a week
- Crush and boil two cloves of garlic in ½ cup of milk and consume when your stomach is still empty for a week
Garlic is also an effective home remedy for Hemorrhoids.
Another natural yet effective home remedies for anal itching is yogurt. Probiotic yogurt is the only yogurt with live active bacteria is the only yogurt which can be used to prevent and control the anal itching. Moreover, remember to use only the unsweetened one for the treatment to be effective .
How to use:
- Directly apply the yogurt to the itching area. Leave it there for 20 to 30 minutes or overnight is the best. After that, clean off using warm water and dry off completely.
- Consume 2 to 3 cups of yogurt on a daily basis.
Yogurt is also benifical for people who experience constipation.
Oatmeal is well-known for its anti-inflammatory and anti-irritation with a soothing effect which is perfect to make it among best home remedies for anal itching.
How to use:
- Dilute from 1 to 2 glasses of oatmeal, or you can opt for raw oat flour into your bath with warm water
- Take the bath for at least 15 to 20 minutes
- An oatmeal bath can be taken once or twice on a daily basis
5. Coconut Oil
Besides its benefits for health, coconut oil is also regarded as one of the safest and most effective home remedies for anal itching due to its anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-microbial functions which can eliminate the infections that cause anal itching as well as the worms inside the intestines.
How to use:
- Consume 2 to 3 tablespoons of coconut oil on a daily basis. Also, consider using coconut oil for cooking your daily meal.
- Apply directly the coconut oil on your itching anus area for few times on a daily basis in order to ease the burning and itching feeling
6. Epsom Salt
One of the quick and effective home remedies for anal itching is using Epsom salt. It is because Epsom salt can treat skin disorder problems such as psoriasis and eczema, which happen to be the leading causes of anal itching. The ingredients within Epsom salt can relieve the itching and burning sensations of anal itching.
How to use:
- Dilute 1 to 2 cups of Epsom salt into a bath with warm water
- Take a bath for 15 to 20 minutes
- Remember to dry off carefully after bathing especially around the anus area
- You can take the Epsom salt bath for 2 to 3 times per week
Note: the Epsom salt bath is not recommended for diabetes people or people who have kidney problems.
7. Aloe Vera
It will be a mistake if aloe vera is not listed in the list of top home remedies for anal itching. Aloe Vera is the remedy for many problems and anal itching is one of them. It is due to the Aloe Vera soothing and calming properties which can reduce inflammation, soreness as well as itching. Also, aloe vera is proven to be very effective in decreasing irritation for hemorrhoid people .
How to use:
- First extracting the gel from the Aloe Vera leaf
- Apply the gel directly on the anus skin for approximately 5 minutes
- Repeating the process hourly till the feeling of soreness as well as itching is gone.
Licorice is used a lot in skin care treatment; therefore it also becomes one of the most amazing home remedies for anal itching. Such problems as psoriasis, eczema, anal itching with soreness and redness can be cured by this herb.
How to use:
- Roast licorice and rind myrobalan together with cardamom
- Grind all three together into a fine powder
- Mix ¼ teaspoon of the powder with 1 teaspoon of honey into a cup of water
- Consume one cup every day until the symptoms are reduced
Also, there is licorice cream which can be purchased easily at any pharmacy that you can apply directly to the anus area for couples of time per day.
Read also: Home Remedies for Peptic Ulcer
9. Increase the amount of fiber intake
Besides those home remedies for anal itching, increasing fiber intake is a good way to deal with anal itching. Constipation is considered the main cause of anal itching. Once constipation is treated completely, the anal itching will automatically disappear. Therefore, in order to cure constipation, you should increase the amount of daily fiber intake. Fiber is very important as it helps soften the stool and improve the digestive system. 
How to do:
- Consume foods which are rich in fiber such as broccoli, green leafy vegetables, nuts, brown rice and buckwheat, fresh fruits, beans, potatoes, carrots, peas and so on.
- Consume fiber supplement only with instructions from doctors.
10. Avoid Allergic Foods
Avoiding allergic foods should not be on your list of best home remedies for anal itching. There are foods which can heal anal itching; however, there are foods which can worsen the problem.
How to do:
- Avoid such citrus foods as lemons, oranges, etc.
- Avoid such spicy foods as chilies, peppers or jalapenos, etc.
- Avoid foods which can increase itching such as coffee, tea, alcohol or even chocolate
It is best to avoid consuming those foods for two weeks to treat your anal itching problem completely before starting to eat again.
Read also: Home Remedies for Food Allergies
11. Lemon grass
This common herb that you can find around the garden has got another name as fever grass, which is regarded as the perennial plant. This lemon-smell like ingredient includes antioxidants and allergens that helps to fight off factors triggering skin issues namely: phosphorus, calcium, and manganese. Quite similar to the above, you can add lemongrass to the bath water to use every day. This method is not only helpful in treating anal itching but also great in helping you to get smooth skin, especially during summer. Lemongrass is among top natural home remedies for anal itching.
12. Dry your Bottom Well
Along with home remedies for anal itching, you had better dry the bottom well. This is probably one of the most important steps you should never forget if you want to avoid the dry bottom. The truth is wet bottom can trigger an infected and irritating anus for it might cause some fungus and allergies causing the problems with the bottom. Therefore, always remember to dry your bottom by using a tissue or other methods such as walking around so that your skin can breathe and get more blood.
13. Avoid Scratching
You might not know but scratching is also regarded as the main factor causing irritated and inflamed skin. The problem is when you have bad skin conditions, try to avoid scratching as much as possible for it might extend the inflamed region. In case that you really need to, just try to scratch very gentle, with the surrounding areas. This would not help to minimize the problem but somehow saves you from hurting your skin eventually.
14. Petroleum Jelly
For those who are constantly coping with itching, using petroleum jelly is probably one of the quickest ways to pacify itching. After applying for only 10 minutes, you will find the satisfied result, which means you feel itching no more. However, you do need to remember that it is synthetic chemical so it cannot be the permanent solution for such cases. You can apply this for the first few weeks and eventually when the problems are gone, you can opt for some home remedies.
15. Be Careful With What You Consume
Avoiding food allergens is another top choice of home remedies for anal itching. Remember that there remain some foods that can lead to the irritation during bowel movement triggering anal itching. In addition, several types of foods can increase the itching and inflammation. When going to the market, you had better choose foods you intend to consume. Also, try to avoid some food allergens. Alcoholic beverages, chocolate, coffee, tea or soda are not highly recommended to use since they can increase rectal itching. Spicy foods like peppers or jalapenos are life-threatening. Besides, citrus fruits such as lemons, grapes, or oranges, lemons should not be on your list. You can avoid the above food for two weeks. After that, you can have them back into the daily diet gradually.
16. Ghee Remedy
As being packed with strong anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antimicrobial properties, ghee is widely mentioned in the list of top home remedies for anal itching. It assists in soothing your irritated membranes. Additionally, those properties can help alleviate the swelling in your inflamed blood vessels, hence treating the infection associated with anal itching.
How to use:
- Heat a teaspoon of ghee before rubbing this around as well as in the anus by using your finger.
- Perform the same treatment for some minutes
- After applying the ghee, don’t forget to use the mild soap and clean water to help ease the hands carefully. You can apply this treatment for a couple of times to help eliminate anal itching.
17. Psyllium Husks
Basically, psyllium husks can treat constipation that causes the anal itching. Besides, it helps cleanse your bowel and then get rid of all harmful bacteria triggering solid stool. As a result, it stops the feeling of itching in your anus. Psyllium husks should be listed on your note of best natural home remedies for anal itching.
How to use:
- Add two kinds of ingredients, together including a teaspoon of psyllium husks and a cup of hot milk. Sip the mixture frequently to help stop your anal itching as well as constipation.
- Do the treatment for several times per week to get significant improvement.
Another impressive home remedies for anal itching is heartleaf for a long time ago, heartleaf was widely used to treat anal itching. It has been considered as a master to help deal with hemorrhoids, along with other skin problems. In addition, houttuynia cordata is mainly applied to cure anal itching.
It is not so complicated to use heartleaf. Here are some simple tips that you can follow to take advantage of this treatment.
How to apply:
- Prepare some heartleaf before cooking with water
- Use the water to help remove the itching in your anus
- Alternatively, rub the cooked heartleaf over your anal itching area and leave it on for 30 minutes
- Perform the same process frequently for four times per week until you witness the improvement.
- Avoid scratching on the affected area as it might worsen the condition. Apply a cold compress to relieve the itching sensations.
- Put on cotton gloves while sleeping at night to avoid scratching unconsciously which can worsen the problem
- Remember to clean using damp toilet paper to prevent any scratch on the anus skin and then use dry toilet paper at the end for drying off the remaining moisture
- Refrain from using color toilet paper with scent as it might exacerbate the condition; remember to use only white toilet paper with no scent.
- Remember to always dry off completely after you go to the toilet
- Directly apply talcum powder which can absorb any moisture on the anus skin to prevent itching caused by sweating.
- Change sitting position regularly to avoid sitting in the same position for a long time which can increase moisture in anus area and cause itching
- Do not use soaps with scent on the anus area as it might create irritation
- Stay away from tight underwear especially the syndicated fabric ones, prefer cotton underwear
- Never apply cornstarch on the affected skin area as the infection might get more severe
- Always manage your stress as it is also the cause of anal itching
- Avoid irritants. As mentioned before, you should avoid genital deodorants, bubble baths, perfumed soaps, witch hazel products, moist wipes as well as some items which might cause irritation for your anal area. Also, cut down on avoiding coffee, alcohol, cola, citrus fruits, spicy food, spicy foods, tomatoes, along with foods linked to diarrhea. Try not to overuse the laxatives as well.
- Apply ointments or gels. By the way, taking advantage of gels or ointments is one of the most effective home remedies for anal itching. You need to protect the skin from the moisture by using a layer of zinc oxide ointment or you can opt for petroleum jelly. Just use about a percent of corticosteroid cream for twice or thrice on a daily basis to get relief from the itching. However, you are not strongly suggested to use this kind of cream for over three weeks due to its possible side-effects, including making the skin thinner.
- Always maintain regular and firm bowel movements. If you regularly suffer from soft stools or bowel movements, you had better insert fiber in the diet. Finding some fiber supplements are not so difficult. They are mainly found in such a Metamucil or Citrucel.
What Are the Medications for Anal Itching?
You might wonder what the medications for anal itching are of great help besides natural home remedies for anal itching which might not work for you and last for a long time. Here is our answer:
In fact, most reasons behind anal itching can be treated.
- Many rashes and yeast infections can be improved with creams.
- Skin lesions like hemorrhoids or warts are easily removed with minor surgical procedures.
- Bacterial infection and pinworms are cured with the prescription of anti-parasitic pills.
- Hydrocortisone cream (about 1 percent) locally applied for less than two weeks (to stay away from skin damage).
Preparing for your appointment
You might not need to consult your doctor when having anal itching. In case the itching is persisting after your taking self-care measures, let’s have a meeting with the primary care doctor. Here’s some information to help you get ready for your appointment.
What can you do?
Before making an appointment, you need to make a list of following things:
- Symptoms you are suffering from, consisting of any sign that is not unrelated to the anal itching
- Period of time you are experiencing those symptoms
- All of the vitamins, supplement, and vitamins you take in, accompanying with the doses
- Questions you prepare to ask the doctor
Regarding anal itching, a few basic questions you can ask the doctor are:
- What is the most likely my symptoms cause?
- Which kind of tests do I really need to examine?
- Is my problem temporary?
- What treatments are now available and what do you strongly recommend?
- Do you think that it is necessary for me to see a specialist?
- Do you have any printed material or brochures which can be taken with me? What websites should I read about anal itching?
In case the anal itching problem appears alongside with bleeding and any strange pain which might be the symptoms for severe infection, home remedies for anal itching might not work well, and our advice is you need to seek out professional medical attention immediately.
If you find this article helpful, don’t forget to LIKE, SHARE and COMMENT on the box below. We appreciate all your comments and will try to answer as soon as possible.
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!