What is Anal Itching?
Anal itching or in medical term known as pruritus ani, is the problem that does not avoid anyone. However, the issue is more familiar with people from 30 to 50 years of age and men do often encounter this problem more than women .
Symptoms of Anal Itching:
Main symptom will be itchy and rather intense, which often appear after the movement of the bowel. Clear signs are redness, soreness, irritation with the burning feel around the anus area.
What causes Anal Itching?
The fecal soilage is the main reason which is accounted for the irritating skin. Older people, especially people who have suffered from diarrhea and seepage or some other fecal matters are more likely to experience anal itching. Beside, old people whose anal skin get hard or people with hemorrhoid problem will definitely get anal itching issue .
Another cause which disregards the age is the poor hygiene. However, being overly hygiene can also cause the anal itching due to the constantly wiping using dry toilet paper. Sometimes, issue such as constipation for a long time can become the cause of anal itching.
There are many other factors which do not cause anal itching but rather worsen the problem such as sweating in hot weather with tight clothes and nonabsorbent or high-percentage of nylon underwear. Activities such as running, sitting on plastic chair for a long time or even riding bike can limit the flow of air which hinders the sweat evaporation and cause anal itching.
Anal itching is uncomfortable and inconvenient which can embarrass you occasional. However, it can be cured easily with just a few simple steps of home remedies and a little change in lifestyle. If the symptoms are getting severe as the itch does not go away for a while, you will need to seek professional medical attention.
Here are 10 useful home remedies for anal itching which you can try easily at home in order to eliminate the itchiness of your anus and get rid of the discomforts…
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
The first ingredient on the list of home remedies for anal itching is apple cider vinegar. With the anti-bacterial function that can be effective against fungal infections, you can use the apple cider vinegar to prevent and control the infections which cause anal itching .
How to use:
- Dilute 2 tablespoons of raw and unfiltered vinegar into 1 glass of water and drink it twice a day
- For reducing the anal itching, pour 1 cup of vinegar into the hot bath, take the bath for 15 to 20 minutes and repeat on a daily basis.
Keep doing the steps above until the itchy feeling is lessened.
Apple cider vinegar is a very popular remedy due to its amazing capability in fighting against fungus and bacteria. You can find out more about the use of apple cider vinegar at: Home Remedies for Body Odor and Oral Thrush.
Garlic is a slow but useful home remedy for anal itching. It eliminates the worms in the intestines and with its anti-bacterial, anti-septic and anti-fungal functions; it can prevent almost every infection that can cause anal itching .
How to use:
- Consume 2 to 3 cloves of garlic when your stomach is still empty for a week
- Crush and boil 2 cloves of garlic in ½ cup of milk and consume when your stomach is still empty for a week
Garlic is also an effective home remedy for Hemorrhoids. You can find out more at: Home Remedies for Hemorrhoids.
Another easy yet effective home remedy for anal itching is yogurt. Probiotic yogurt is the only yogurt with live active bacteria is the only yogurt which can be used to prevent and control the anal itching. Moreover, remember to use only the unsweetened one for the treatment to be effective .
How to use:
- Directly apply the yogurt onto the itching area. Leave it there for 20 to 30 minutes or overnight is the best. After that, clean off using warm water and dry off completely.
- Consume 2 to 3 cups of yogurt on a daily basis.
Yogurt is also extremely useful for people who experience constipation. You can find out more at: Home Remedies for Constipation.
Oatmeal is well-known for its anti-inflammatory and anti-irritation with soothing effect which is perfect to make a home remedy for anal itching.
How to use:
- Dilute 1 to 2 cups of oatmeal or raw oat flour into the bath with warm water
- Take the bath for at least 15 to 20 minutes
- Oatmeal bath can be taken once or twice on a daily basis
5. Coconut Oil
Beside its benefit for health, coconut oil is also an effective home remedy for anal itching due to its anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-microbial functions which can eliminate the infections that cause anal itching as well as the worms inside the intestines.
How to use:
- Consume 2 to 3 tablespoons of coconut oil on a daily basis. Also consider using coconut oil for cooking daily meal.
- Directly apply the coconut oil onto the itching anus area for couples of time per day in order to reduce the burning and itching feeling
6. Epsom Salt
One of the quick and effective home remedies to reduce anal itching is using Epsom salt. It is because Epsom salt can treat skin disorder problems such as psoriasis and eczema, which happen to be the main causes for anal itching. The ingredients within Epsom salt can relieve the itching and burning sensations of anal itching.
How to use:
- Dilute 1 to 2 cups of Epsom salt into a bath with warm water
- Take a bath for 15 to 20 minutes
- Remember to dry off carefully after bathing especially around the anus area
- You can take the Epsom salt bath for 2 to 3 times per week
Note: the Epsom salt bath is not recommended for diabetes people or people who have kidney problems.
7. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is the remedy for many problems and anal itching is one of them. It is due to the Aloe Vera’s soothing and calming properties which can reduce inflammation, soreness as well as itching. Also Aloe Vera is proven to be very effective in decreasing irritation for hemorrhoid people .
How to use:
- First extracting the gel from the Aloe Vera leaf
- Directly apply the gel onto your anus skin for approximately 5 minutes
- Repeating the procedure hourly until the soreness and itching feeling is gone.
Licorice is used a lot in skin care treatment; therefore it is also very effective to get rid of anal itching. Such problems as psoriasis, eczema, anal itching with soreness and redness can be cured by this herb.
How to use:
- Roast licorice and rind myrobalan together with cardamom
- Grind all three together into a fine powder
- Mix ¼ teaspoon of the powder with 1 teaspoon of honey into a cup of water
- Consume one cup every day until the symptoms are reduced
Also there is licorice cream which can be purchased easily at any pharmacy that you can apply directly onto the anus area for couples of time per day.
9. Increase the amount of fiber intake
Constipation is considered the main cause for anal itching. Once constipation is treated completely, anal itching will automatically disappear. Therefore, in order to cure constipation, you should increase the amount of daily fiber intake. Fiber is very important as it helps softening the stool and improving the digestive system. 
How to do:
- Consume foods which are rich in fiber such as broccoli, green leafy vegetables, nuts, brown rice and buckwheat, fresh fruits, beans, potatoes, carrots, peas and so on.
- Consume fiber supplement only with instructions from doctors.
10. Avoid Allergic Foods
There are foods which can heal anal itching; however, there are foods which can worsen the problem.
How to do:
- Avoid such citrus foods as lemons, oranges, etc.
- Avoid such spicy foods as chilies, peppers or jalapenos, etc.
- Avoid foods which can increase itching such as coffee, tea, alcohol or even chocolate
It is best to avoid consuming those foods for 2 weeks in order to treat your anal itching problem completely before starting to eat again.
- Avoid scratching on the affected area as it might worsen the condition. Apply a cold compress to relieve the itching sensations.
- Put on cotton gloves while sleeping at night to avoid scratching unconsciously which can worsen the problem
- Remember to clean using damp toilet paper to prevent any scratch on the anus skin and then use dry toilet paper at the end for drying off the remaining moisture
- Refrain from using color toilet paper with scent as it might exacerbate the condition; remember to use only white toilet paper with no scent.
- Remember to always dry off completely after you go to the toilet
- Directly apply talcum powder which can absorb any moisture on the anus skin to prevent itching caused by sweating.
- Change sitting position regularly to avoid sitting in the same position for a long time which can increase moisture in anus area and cause itching
- Do not use soaps with scent on the anus area as it might create irritation
- Stay away from tight underwear especially the syndicated fabric ones, prefer cotton underwear
- Never apply cornstarch on the affected skin area as the infection might get more severe
- Always manage your stress as it is also the cause of anal itching
In case the anal itching problem appears alongside with bleeding and any strange pain which might be the symptoms for severe infection, home remedies might not work and you need to seek out professional medical attention immediately.
*Disclaim: The effectiveness from applying these natural tips will be depended on the body condition of the applicant.