What are Anal Fissures?
Anal fissure is the term used to imply an open sore or tear at the skin surrounding the anus. It will cause sharp pain with burning during the bowel movement. Also it can be called as rectal fissure .
What cause Anal Fissures?
People who have already has constipation are more vulnerable to this condition because large and hard stools will possibly tear off the anus’s lining .
Also there might be other causes such as persistent diarrhea, Crohn’s disease, inflammatory bowel disease or IBD, ulcerative colitis, tight muscles of anal sphincter, childbirth straining and occasionally can be due to some sexually transmitted infections like herpes or syphilis .
Symptoms of Anal Fissures
The most obvious and common signs are the itchiness accompanied by sharp pain (either long-lasting or brief) or even bleeding when stools are passed. People can be able to observe their bright red blood from toilet paper or within their stool.
Here are the 15 most effective home remedies for anal fissures which you can easily follow at home in order to heal the wound as well as prevent future occurrence.
1. Olive Oil
The number one ingredient which is recommended in the list of home remedies for anal fissures is none other than olive oil. Abundant of healthy fat, it is capable of lubricating the bowel system, making it easier for stool to pass. Additionally, the anti-inflammatory property from olive oil will help you alleviate pain coming anal fissures .
How to use:
- Take some beeswax, honey and olive in equal amount.
- Heat them up until the beeswax is completely melted.
- Let it cool and apply the mixture directly onto the affected area.
- Perform couples of time every day.
2. Aloe Vera
The pain-relieving property and the natural healing powers from Aloe Vera is excellent at treating the symptoms from anal fissures as well as assist in reviving the skin tissue which is damaged. Therefore, it is not hard to see why Aloe Vera is included in the list of home remedies for anal fissures .
How to use:
- Take a leaf of Aloe Vera and slice it open to extract the gel.
- Apply the gel directly onto the affected area.
- Perform couples of time per day.
3. Hot Sitz Bath
In order to support the treatment of anal fissures as well as improve the healing process, you should consider trying the hot sitz bath. It is able to increase the flow of blood to toward anal area, which assist the revival of minor tears as well as split at the tissue. Furthermore, it will also alleviate pain, itchiness and swelling.
How to use:
- Take some warm water into the bath.
- Put in some lavender oil and mix up.
- Take a sit in the bath and soak up to the waist for at least 15 minutes.
- Perform 2 to 3 times per day.
The reason this herb is included in the list of home remedies for anal fissures is because it can significantly promote the relief as well as healing of pain from anal fissures. It has medicinal property in both the leaves and root which can support the regeneration of skin tissues and the rapid growth of cells. Thus this will speed up the healing process .
How to use:
- Take a tablespoon of dried comfrey into some hot water and have it steeped for about 15 minutes. Then have it strained and let it cool down. Cleanse the affected area using that solution for 2 to 3 times per day.
- Also you can take comfrey tea to use as the compress on the affected area.
- Another way is using OTC ointment containing comfrey ingredient to apply directly onto the affected are for 2 – 3 times per day.
5. Coconut Oil
Abundant of medium-chain triglycerides, this oil can effectively lubricate the affected area and begin the recovery. It is a great option which you should consider applying from the list of home remedies for anal fissures.
How to use:
- Take some coconut oil to apply directly onto the sphincter for 2 – 3 times per day. For chronic cases, increase the time of applying the oil.
- In case you are having constipation as well as problems with the digestive system, you can consider including coconut oil into your daily diet.
Learn more about other benefits of coconut oil at Home Remedies For Jock Itch – How To, Treatments.
6. L-arginine Gel
It is even reported that this gel can support the healing with no side effect at all. Even better, the gel can work for people who are unresponsive to the isosorbide didnitrate treatment.
You just need to apply the OTC L-arginine gel onto the affected area for several times every day.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar
The list of home remedies for anal fissures cannot be complete without the present of apple cider vinegar. It is effective in the treatment of constipation as it is the major factor contributing the occurrence of anal fissures.
Furthermore, the water-soluble fiber name Pectin from apple cider vinegar can significantly enhance the digestion as well as improve the bowel movements.
How to use:
- Take 1 – 2 tablespoons of unfiltered raw vinegar into some water.
- Put in some honey depended on taste.
- Consume twice every day.
Learn more another benefits of apple cider vinegar at Home Remedies for Oral Thrush.
With omega-3 fatty acids as well as fiber, it is no doubt that flaxseed will appear in the list of home remedies for anal fissures. It is capable of treating constipation, a major reason which causes anal fissures. Moreover, with laxative property, it can also decrease the need for straining while having bowel movement.
How to use:
- Take a tablespoon of flaxseed powder into some water. Consume once every day before bedtime.
- Also you might take supplement of flaxseed in the form of capsule but only after consulting the doctor.
This nutrient is definitely the key component in the list of home remedies for anal fissures. The regular intake of fiber will help make bowel movement easier, thus require less pressure and avoid the damage for the anus’s lining.
How to use:
- Consume more foods which are rich in fiber like buckwheat, oatmeal, quinoa, spinach, legumes, prunes, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds. The psyllium which also called isabgol can be considered an abundant source for fiber as well.
- Also you might take supplement of fiber but only after consulting the doctor.
Note: If the intake of fiber is increase, especially with psyllium, you will need to consume plenty more water during the day to prevent gastrointestinal discomforts.
This tip from the list of home remedies for anal fissures is the one that you must comply in order to have quick recovery. For maintaining good hygiene, you need to uphold a dry and clean affected area because moisture can greatly increase the risk of getting bacterial infections.
How to do:
- After having bowel movement, have the anus wiped using soft toilet paper. Do not use toilet papers which are rough and have scent because they might trigger irritation.
- After bathing, have the affected area dabbed with some baby powder in order to maintain dryness.
- Put on clothing which is loose-fitting as well as underwear made from cotton in order to enhance the circulation of air.
- Avoid sitting for prolonged time with same posture as it might trigger the accumulation of moisture at the anal area.
11. Fruit Juice
Due to the fact that anal fissures are occurred majorly due to consumption of inappropriate foods like processed starches and foods as well as sugar that trigger constipation with stool hardening. Therefore, it is the first priority to cure constipation as well as soften your stools. Consume fresh fruit juices for 3 – 4 times every day. Also you might consume about 7 – 8 water glasses every day as well. The digestive enzyme for fruit juices can support the food digesting process while maintain mobile and soft stool.
Rich in constituents that are essential for the body to function properly, it is reasonable to include milk in the list of home remedies for anal fissures. You just need to consume some hot milk every day before bedtime. It will encourage frequent bowel movement as well as maintain a well-functioning, healthy and clean digestive tract .
Ghee is capable of lubricating the mucous membranes for the whole digestive tract, thus enable it to be easier to remove feces from bowel. Furthermore, it will help cleanse the old and affected feces at the bowel.
You can take a teaspoon of ghee into some hot milk and dissolve. Have the mixture sweetened depended on your taste and consume every day before bedtime. Also you might take some ghee to warm up and apply directly onto the fissures for 3 – 4 times every day.
Due to the high level of dietary fiber with nourishing property, lentil can be an efficient choice for you to consider from the list of home remedies for anal fissures. You can consume some sprouted lentils for twice every day. Have the lentils soaked similar to moong and channa through the night. Next morning, have them tied in a muslin cloth. In case the cloth dries out, you can periodically sprinkle it with some water in order to maintain moisture. Lentils will start to sprout in another day.
15. Nettle Juice
The last tip from the list of home remedies for anal fissures belongs to nettle. It is important to note that in the treatment of anal fissures, the first priority is maintaining a right consistency of the stool. Either watery stools or hardened stools will exacerbate the problem. You can avoid that by consuming a teaspoon of nettle juice 3 times per day. Not only it will help keep the stool consistency at right level but also it will decrease the soreness from fissures.
- Do not strain while having bowel movement because it might open up the healing tear as well as break into new tear.
- In order to avoid anal fissures for infants, have their diapers changes regularly.
- In case you are having diarrhea, have this condition treated right away.
- Keep out of foods which cause constipation such as white rice, bananas, dairy products like cheese, red meat, chocolate, fried foods and chips.
- Maintain hydration for your body through consuming sufficient fluid in order to make stools soften and avoid constipation.
- Perform physical activities regularly for 30 minutes every day in order to encourage bowel movement and improve anal blood flow. Some activities that you might take can be stretching, yoga, gardening, light housework and walking.
- Keep out of activities such as heavy weight-lifting, biking as well as exercises which require straining much.
- Remember to use some soft pillow while sitting on some hard surfaces so that the anal area can be eased from pressure.
- Do not scratching as it will worsen the condition.
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!