What is ADHD?
ADHD is shortened for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. It is the developmental-neuropsychiatric disorder which happens to millions of both adults and children. This condition is considered the most popular disorder that anyone can incur during childhood. Also ADHD often occurs to males than females .
Symptoms of ADHD
Most obvious symptoms of ADHD are hyperactivity, impulsivity and inattention. Also people with ADHD will daydream more frequently, have trouble in following through instructions and organizing tasks, easily forget things and get distracted or bored, impatience and difficulty in remaining still as well as excessively converse .
Even though, the symptoms might alleviate with aging, some case might not get rid of ADHD completely.
What causes ADHD?
It is still unclear of the exact cause for ADHD. However, there are some particular factors which contribute to the development of ADHD. Environmental factors, problems with central nervous system or genetics can become the causes of ADHD.
Some other factors such as alcohol, drug or smoking abused during maternity or exposure to environmental poisons or toxins either after birth or during maternity as well as premature birth.
ADHD can be controlled by medications; however, it needs to be diagnosed timely. Also there are remedies which can support your treatment as well as help you alleviate the symptoms.
Here are the top 15 most effective home remedies for ADHD which you can follow easily from home in order to improve the treatment as well as help yourself grow out of ADHD.
The reason this tip is on the top of the list of home remedies for ADHD is because of its excellent effectiveness. Physical exercises can help reduce anxiety, depression and stress as well as negative behavior. Also it can improve your poor control of impulse together with compulsive behavior as well as memory and executive functioning.
Moreover, doing exercises at spaces which are green and open will strengthen the function of your brain .
How to do:
- You can have your kids spend about 30 minutes daily for active exercises such as swimming, riding bike, playing football or swinging…
- You can have your kids enroll in sport activities which help them use the entire body for movement. Ice skating, gymnastics, dancing or martial arts can be the perfect choice.
- Also you can together with your kids doing activities such as jogging, walking, strength-training exercises.
Exercise is essential for your body even when you have no ailment or illness as it will help you maintain your body shape as well as immunity to protect yourself against future diseases. You can find out more about the benefits of exercise at: How to Keep Your Bone Strong and Healthy and Home Remedies to Improve Blood Circulation.
2. Yoga and Tai Chi
Similar to exercises, tai chi and yoga are also methods you should pay attention from the list of home remedies for ADHD .
The breathing exercises, physical postures as well as relaxation techniques from yoga can significantly ease and improve the central-nervous system. Yoga will teach kids to be discipline which will control the symptoms of ADHD.
For tai chi, it can help you kids ease anxiety, reduce daydreaming and inappropriate emotions as well as hyperactivity. Practice tai chi twice per week can make your kids improve their conduct efficiently.
However, in order for tai chi and yoga to take full effect, you must first induce your kids’ interest in those activities. Then have your kids enroll into the classes of professional practitioners.
Yoga is an extremely beneficial technique that you can use to improve the health of both your body and mind. For more information about yoga, please read here: How to Tone Your Hips and Thighs, Home Remedies for Palpitations and Home Remedies for Restless Legs Syndrome.
3. Diet and Nutrition
In order to support the treatment of ADHD effectively, you need to take closed attention on your kids’ nutrition and diet. Due to the different requirements of body and brain, it is essential to maintain well-balance diet so that your kids can have better memory and attention span as well as sharper reflexes .
How to do:
- Consume more foods rich of protein such as fish, egg, soy products, dairy products, nuts and beans. Protein can promote dopamine production which is needed for concentration.
- Consume carbohydrate foods which contain less sugar and more fiber like whole grains. It can help you stabilize the level of blood sugar, thus improve function of brain.
- Consume more foods rich of magnesium such as spinach, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, soybeans, cashews and black beans. It will help ease irritability, improve span of attention and reduce mental confusion.
- Consume more foods containing vitamin B6 in order to decrease irritability like bananas, avocados, prunes and nuts.
- Consume more foods rich of zinc like liver, oysters, cheese, sesame seeds and peanuts.
- Keep out of foods containing artificial colors and sweeteners, preservatives or flavoring as those foods might trigger hyperactive behavior and disable learning.
Note: In case of using nutritional supplement, consult the doctor first.
4. Fish Oil
It would be a huge mistake to forget about fish oil from the home remedies for ADHD. It can provide some polyunsaturated fatty acids which can improve the psychiatric and neurodevelopmental disorders like ADHD .
Fish oil which contains high level of omega-6 fatty acids (DHA) or omega-3 fatty acids (EPA) are the one you should look for. Furthermore, consuming fish oil can help your kids have better concentration and memory .
How to use:
- Consult the doctor for proper dosage of fish oil supplement.
- Consume more foods rich omega-3 fatty acids such as trout, sardines, salmon and seeds.
An important technique from the home remedies for ADHD which should not be overlooked is massage. Having massage twice per week can bring you positive effect on behavior and mood .
Furthermore, massage will promote the level of serotonin which in turn improves dopamine level for kids with ADHD.
How to use:
- Take some sesame, almond or olive oil on hands.
- Warm up the oil by rubbing hands.
- Massage the oil onto your kids’ body.
- Leave the oil on for a while to let it soak into your kid’s body, then cleanse off the residue.
- Perform 2 to 3 times per week.
The most common herb from the list of home remedies for ADHD is chamomile due to its calming and soothing properties that can decrease hyperactivity .
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of dried chamomile into some hot water and steep for about 5 minutes.
- After straining, put in some honey and consume every day before bedtime.
7. Korean Red Ginseng
The ability to enhance memory is the reason why Korean red ginseng is included in the list of home remedies for ADHD. Its potential in boosting memory is incredible for people with ADHD .
It is recommended to take the dosage of 1000mg; however, you still need to consult the doctor first.
8. Green Oat
Has another name as wild oat or avena sativa, this uncommon herb from home remedies for ADHD is great at nourishing brain and having sedative effect for your nervous system. Furthermore, it can improve concentration and attention efficiently.
In case of using green oat extract, you need to consult the doctor.
9. Ginkgo Biloba
Another herbal remedy from the list of home remedies for ADHD which you should consider applying is ginkgo biloba. It is able to help you strengthen your memory, focus, cognition, perception and knowledge retention as well as guarding your brain against harmful toxins .
When ginkgo biloba is used together with American ginseng and Asian ginseng, the effect on social behavior as well as hyperactivity is significantly boosted up.
In the form of extract, ginkgo biloba is available in dosage from 80 to 240 mg. However, you need to consult the doctor for appropriate dose.
In the treatment of ADHD, there is another herb name brahmi or sometimes called bacopa which can act as a tonic for brain that can promote word-recall memory as well as reduce anxiety and depression. Moreover, it will guard your brain against damage of free radical while encourage cognitive function .
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of brahmi powder with some honey and consume twice per day.
- Also you can take brahmi supplementary pills after consulting the doctor.
11. St. John’s Wort
This is considered the most popular herb from the list of home remedies for ADHD because of its safety for application over long period. It is effective at calming agitated nervous system, improving mood and attention, decrease sadness. Also it can promote the control of negative feelings such as anger, apathy, low self-esteem, isolation, guilt, shame… as well as nervous exhaustion.
12. Pau D’arco
Some of the causes for ADHD come from damaged neurological function by heavy metal such as mercury, lead, cadmium… This herb can contribute to the treatment of ADHD by detoxify the toxins in the liver and improve your health. However, you need to pay attention on the dosage as it might damage the liver if taking higher doses.
13. Gotu Kola
Another brain tonic from the list of home remedies for ADHD is gotu kola. This herb can boost up your memory, improve concentration and enhance level of intelligence for kids with ADHD. For adults, it can ease such symptoms as stress, anxiety or restlessness rather efficiently.
This herb from home remedies for ADHD contains such properties as relieving hyperactivity, tension, restlessness and stress. Furthermore, it can act a relaxant which stimulate sound sleep while soothe headache, stomach ache, colic, diarrhea, etc. that come from stress. Also it can ease hysteria and boost your mood.
The last from the list of home remedies for ADHD is hop as it possessed an excellent nervine property which can ease nervous tension, irritability, excitability and restlessness. Insomnia as well as mood swing can also be controlled by this herb. However, for people with depression, it is not as effective. Finally, it enables the ability to detoxification for the body as well as improve digestion while ease any discomforts from the intestines.
- Try to maintain precise schedule with routine from sunrise to sunset.
- Keep everything organized, especially special items.
- Use organizers for tasks as well as other supplies and materials from school.
- Have your kids develop the habit of taking note on a notebook about daily important occasions.
- Always be consistent and clear about rules and instructions you want your kids to follow. If needed, repeat the instructions.
- Always show affection and love toward your kids as well as spend quality-time with them.
- Always try to encourage your kids about discipline and self-esteem.
- Remember to use simple gestures and words to explain instructions for your kids.
- Always maintain eye contact with your kids when you instruct them.
- Have your kids sleep and rest properly as well as restrain their time on devices such as computer, cell phones or TV.
- Always remain calm while dealing with your kids, especially when they are out of control.
- Always praise your kids on their effort in following rules.
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!