What is Acidity?
The imbalance or excess of digestive acids which is secreted by your stomach might trigger nausea, gas, bad breath and stomach ache. This problem can impact anyone at any age .
People who often have this problem will be regarded as having acid stomach. The consumption of spicy foods and alcohol, the irregular habits of eating, lack of exercise as well as stress will also trigger this problem .
What causes Acidity?
Basically, acidity is the consequence of excessive production of acids in the digestive system. More specifically, there are various factors that can lead to the condition of acidity , such as:
- Lack of fiber in daily diet
- Chronic stress, anxiety
- Excessive amount of spices or capsaicin in the diet
- Overeating, fast eating
- Smoking or alcohol
- Insomnia or lack of physical activities
What are the symptoms of Acidity?
Here are some symptoms you can easily see in people with acidity, including children and adult .
- Vomiting or nausea
- Heart burn
- Pain in chest and stomach
- Formation of gas
- Loss of appetite
Acidity is such a dangerous problem since it can cause much severer condition like acid reflux, dyspepsia, constipation, etc. Fortunately, there are many medicines and medical treatments that can help us to deal with the symptoms of acidity. However, all of them contain some advanced effects you might not want to get. Furthermore, when the case is still mild and under control, you can totally use natural ingredients to make home remedies for acidity instead, which is much easier and cheaper but still effective .
Here are the top 11 most recommended home remedies for acidity that you can consider applying in order to eliminate the acid stomach as well as improve the health of digestive system.
- Make a beverage by adding a teaspoon of cinnamon powder to a cup of hot water. Let it steep for a few minutes then enjoy. Drink this tea at least 2-3 times a day
- Alternatively, add cinnamon into your daily diet like your salad or soup.
Cinnamon should be always kept in your kitchen since it has such amazing benefits to human health. Besides acidity, cinnamon has another common use, which is dealing with oral thrush. To learn more about how to apply it, please read Home Remedies for Oral Thrush.
The content of lactic acid makes buttermilk a perfect ingredient used in home remedies for acidity by balancing the levels of it and reduce gas inside the stomach .
- Drink plain buttermilk during the day until you see improvement
- For better result, make a paste from fenugreek seeds by grinding and mix them with a little water. Put the paste into a glass of plain buttermilk and drink it. The condition of acidity will promptly disappear.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Some will doubt the impact of apple cider vinegar on the stomach since it is also an acidic in nature. However, do not forget this liquid has alkalizing effect, which makes it a trusted companion in home remedies for acidity  .
- Make a diluted liquid of 2 teaspoon of raw apple cider vinegar and a glass of water. Consume it 1-2 times a day or before every meal to reduce the acidity.
Besides, apple cider vinegar is also a useful ingredient used in various treatments, including Home Remedies for Toenail Fungus.
Most of people believe that acidity is caused by high acid levels in the stomach but not many know the condition can be also a consequence of low acid. To deal with this, you can use cloves as an acidity treatment to ease the symptoms and calm your stomach   .
- Consume 2-3 cloves during the day or whenever you feel the pain of stomach acidity
- Crush some cloves and cardamom and mix them together in the same ratio. By consuming this mixture, you will not only get relief from the symptoms but also prevent bad breath, a consequence of acidity.
Milk is so well known for its multifunction, including dealing with stomach issues like acidity. By neutralizing and balancing the acid levels in the stomach, milk quickly helps you relieve gas and acidity. Furthermore, the rich content of calcium in milk also inhibit the build-up of harmful factors in digestive system.
- Have a cup of cold milk after every milk or whenever you get acidity to get relief from acidity
Also, milk possesses many other benefits that you want to make use of such as a beauty treatments. For further information, you can take a look at How to Get Rid of Dry Skin.
6. Baking Soda
There are countless reasons you should keep baking soda in your pantry like using it for medical purposes. According to several researches, this ingredient has been confirmed to be a perfect one in home remedies for acidity, relieving the symptoms as well as soothing the stomach   .
- Add a tablespoon of baking soda into a cup of water, along with a few drops of lemon juice
- Consume this liquid after every meal to inhibit the increasing of acid in stomach
Baking soda makes perfect and safe treatments for many problems in babies like Home Remedies for Diaper Rash.
7. Cumin Seeds
- Roast and crush slightly some cumin seeds, add them into a cup of water. Drink this mixture after every meal
- Alternatively, add a teaspoon of cumin seeds in a cup of boiled water, let it steep then strain and drink the liquid after every meal
- If it is possible, mix a powder mixture of cumin seed, coriander seed, fennel seed and some sugar in the same ratio. Put the mixture into a cup of water then drink it on empty stomach
One of the most effective home remedies for acidity is basil, which has the carminative and soothing properties. By applying these leaves, you can quickly get rid of the condition as well as other problems of digestion .
- As soon as the signs and conditions of acidity appear, take some basil leaves and chew thoroughly.
- If you cannot take the taste of raw basil leaves, put them into a cup of boiled water. Leave it for some minutes and enjoy. It is not advisable to add milk into the tea, but you can use honey instead if you wish.
- Whenever you feel the stomach pain caused by acidity, use a slice of fresh ginger to chew. Instead, you can have some ginger juice 2-3 times a day.
- Make a cup of ginger tea by putting some slices of fresh ginger into a cup of hot water. Drink this after letting it steep for some minutes
Jaggery is a traditional cane sugar consumed mostly in Asia and Africa, which has been long used to help with digestive problems, including acidity. This is thanks to its alkalizing properties in the ingredient, which is the key factor of the mechanism.
- Use a piece of jaggery to such on after every meal to treat acidity as well as prevent it.
- Note that it is not recommended for those with diabetes due to the high content of sugar
Do not forget about fennel seeds, a natural effective ingredient used in various home remedies for stomach problems, including acidity treatments. By making use of carminative properties, fennel can improve digestion as well as reduce the symptoms caused by acidity and gas.
- Chew some fennel seeds after every meal, especially heavy and spicy meals
- Put some fennel seed in a cup of boiling water and let it steep for some minutes. Strain and enjoy the tea during the day
*Disclaim: The effectiveness from applying these natural tips will be depended on the body condition of the applicant.