- What is A Mucocele?
- What Causes Mucocele?
- Who are More Prone To Mucocele?
- What are The Symptoms of Mucocele?
- Helpful Tips For Mucocele Removal At Home
- 1. Leaving The Bump Alone
- 2. Salt Therapy
- 3. Honey
- 4. Ice
- 5. Tea Bag
- 6. Alove Vera
- 7. Turmeric
- 8. Primrose Oil
- 9. Castor Oil and Honey
- 10. Alum
- 11. Mouthwash
- 12. Sage
- 13. Licorice Root
- 14. Glycerine
- 15. Lemon or Orange Juice
- 16. Tea Tree Oil
- 17. Yogurt
- Do’s And Don’ts:
- When To See Doctor
Do your lips make you feel annoyed? At the same time, is there something like a small bump developing on your lips? Then, catch your eyes on it since many physiologists doubly suppose that you might be contracting a mucocele, widely known as an oral cyst occurring on the tongue, roof or floor of the mouth besides lips.
What is A Mucocele?
Mucocele can build up in your mouth and its presence is mostly seen on the lower lips of the mouth.
Mucocele is full of fluid but they do not cause any harm. Plus, it fails to cause discomfort or stress for people; however, mucocele also requires some medical intervention.
While some can wait until the bump disappears in a few weeks, other people have to stay up for a moth and a half or even longer.
When the pain is unbearable, it possibly leads to the production of excessive saliva inside then mouth; hence, resulting in speech issues or eating habits.
What Causes Mucocele?
Mucocele is resulted from a great number of factors. One of the most prevalent causes is a blocked or damaged salivary gland  .
When ductal or ruptures obstruction happens, salivary glands stimulate mucoceles .
Individuals sucking their lower lips so often are more prone to this problem since they put pressure on the membranes of the lips, then the liquid will be collected in this area.
Here are some of the common causes of mucocele:
- Frequently biting a specific area of the lip
- Mouth infection, trauma, inflammation or injury
- Oral lichen planus  (a disease)
- Drug absorption leading to the saliva thickening
- Repeated chewing
Who are More Prone To Mucocele?
Mucocele does spare anyone. It is prevalent in both men and women of any age.
Numerous studies have shown that the young under 30 years old are most likely to get mucoceles.
Also, it can happen to the elderly owing to some particular reasons.
What are The Symptoms of Mucocele?
Mucocele is painless and suffers do not need to seek for their health cards to get it blurred.
Some common signs include:
- a bump located inside the mouth and on the tongue
- having difficulties in swallowing sometimes
- translucent to bluish colors
Helpful Tips For Mucocele Removal At Home
Before applying any mucocele home treatment, it is fairly important to confirm whether you have mucocele or not.
This can be done by some examination conducted on those affected areas. After finished, doctors can advise you a variety of remedies.
In case, they prove ineffective, using a laser to treat mucocele is always taken.
Following are top 17 simple but effective home remedies for mucocele that you can easily do at home.
1. Leaving The Bump Alone
Probably, one of the best treatments for mucocele is to leave it alone.
Well, yes, if you are lucky, then the bump might disappear just in a few days. Six weeks are the longest.
Also, when it comes to the cyst, it just proves that your injury is on the good way of recovery. The cyst can tell that your treatment has been working well.
Take a note that as the mucocele goes way, it might contain some fluid later. In case this problem come back, you are highly recommended to contact with your doctors.
2. Salt Therapy
Salt therapy is considered as an effective way to help treat mucocele in a safe and healthy way and a teaspoon of salt is enough. It is also known as one of the most successful ways to treat oral thrush.
Salt is loaded with a large number of healing agents which can provide you with good relief from mucocele.
How to apply:
- Add salt to a cup of warm water
- Rinse your mouth two or three times daily
Note: You should watch out the size of your mucocele each day because it is a sign to tell you if the treatment is effective or not.
Known as packing with the anti-inflammatory and soothing properties, honey is one of the best home remedies for mucocele.
Those agents help ease the inflammation and alleviate the pain.
Besides, the anti-bacterial agents in honey support greatly the infection prevention and thereby speeding up the healing process.
How to apply:
- Add a teaspoon of honey to a half teaspoon of turmeric power
- Rub the mixture over your affected skin areas
- Waif for 20 minutes
- Rinse it off with warm water
- Follow the treatment 3 times each day
- Rub the honey over the affected area before the bedtime at night
You might be surprised with this health benefit of honey in treating sore throat
Don’t forget that ice confers numerous health benefits in treating skin problems.
It helps ease the irritation as well as numb the pain that is link to large oral cysts.
How to apply:
- Place several ice cubes into a thin cloth
- Put the ice pack over the skin areas affected for 2 minutes
- Follow the treatment several times per day
At the same time, you should consume cold water to help get the discomfort removed.
5. Tea Bag
Tea is loaded with tannic acid, known as a type of astringent to have the pain and inflammation reduced as well as accelerate the process of healing.
How to apply:
- Steep some tea with a tea bag
- Put the tea bag in the fridge in 30 minutes
- Place it gently over the mucocele area for 15 minutes
- Follow the treatment up to thrice per day until its condition gets better
6. Alove Vera
It is undeniable that alove vera benefits your skin in various ways. It also proves its effectiveness in treating the mucocele.
Thanks to the soothing and anti-inflammatory agents, aloe vera enables to heal the pain and helps you eliminate the cyst in a fat way.
Apart from that, using aloe vera can burst the cyst and prevent from the reappearance of mucocele.
How to apply:
- Prepare an alove vera leaf in order to extract its gel
- Rub the gel over the mucocele for 20 minutes
- Rinse the mouth off with warm water
- Follow the treatment some times each day for a few days
Just simply, wash your mouth off with fresh and raw aloe vera juice up to three daily.
Turmeric is well known for its powerful anti-inflammatory and antibacterial agents, which help suffers get rid of some common health ailments, such as mucoceles.
How to apply:
- Combine a teaspoon of turmeric powder with milk to create a paste
- Rub the paste over the affected skin with a cotton ball
- Leave it on for 30 minutes
- Wash your mouth off with warm water
- Repeat the same process thrice each day
All you need to do is applying the juice to your cyst for twice daily in several weeks.
8. Primrose Oil
Another common mucoceles removal at home is primrose oil. It is highly recommended to be rubbed directly on the cyst so that it blurs quickly.
This mucoceles home treatment makes the risk of infection decline. People also use honey with castor oil as well.
9. Castor Oil and Honey
It is not easy to find castor oil since it is often derived from the same plant.
Castor oil is mixed with some honey to make it become one of the most incredible home remedies for mucoceles treatment at home.
The mixture will assist in battling bacteria surrounding the skin area if used a few time each day.
Known officially as hydrated potassium aluminum sulfate, alum has shown its effectiveness in treating mucocele at home.
Alum gets the cyst gone way easily and protect your mouth from cyst reappearance
It is better to rub alum over the lip cyst, leave it for a few minutes and wash it off with clean water.
When it comes to mucocele removal, thing you need to grab right away is mouthwash.
It is known as among best home remedies for mucocele because of its antibacterial agents that softens the lip cyst inside your mouth.
You are strongly suggested to rinse your mouth with mouthwash containing no alcohol.
Take a time and start to treat mucocele with new ingredient. Sage, which looks unfamiliar with lots of people, turns out to be top home treatments for mucocele.
Sage is well-known for its calming effect to help relieve the discomfort linked with a lip cyst.
The dry effect, along with astringent makes the cyst blur in a short period of time.
How to apply:
- Mix about 3 teaspoons of dried sage leaves with 2 glass of boiled water
- Wrap it up and allow it to steep within 15 minutes
- Wait to cool down the mixture
- Gargle your mouth with this solution a few times per day
Note: You are NOT ALLOWED to consume this mouth rinse.
13. Licorice Root
Serving as a natural demulcent, licorice root can make it become one of the best home remedies for mucocele.
The root helps create a protective layer on the affected skin area in order to fight with irritation.
Also, it contains anti-inflammatory as well as antimicrobial contents.
How to apply:
- Dip a teaspoon of licorice root powder into two cups of hot water in hours
- Strain the solution and apply it as a mouth rinse a few times daily
The treatment helps you accelerate the healing process.
If you have not find any proper treatment, then glycerine gives you a hand.
Glycerine has healing and antiseptic properties to get fight with bacteria triggering infection and accelerate the healing process naturally.
It might take long time but is efficient indeed.
How to apply:
- Rub glycerine directly over the mucocele with a cotton swab
- Wait for a few minutes
- Wash it off with clean water
15. Lemon or Orange Juice
It is vitamin C that can inhibit the development of mucocele and prevent it from severe swelling.
You can opt for consuming the juice depending on your favorite drink or use a cotton swab to apply the juice on the affected skin area.
You are suggested not to touch the lip cyst with fingers.
16. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is regarded helpful in removing mucocele at home.
In details, it can work as anti-fungal and antiseptic treatment for ages.
This kind of oil is well known for its efficiency in solving many skin and hair problems and of course, mucocele is among one of them.
It would be a big mistake if we do not mention yogurt as one of the best natural home remedies for mucocele.
Yogurt can ease pain along with discomfort while it is drunk or eaten.
Also, this fresh ingredient helps the affected areas to be relived from irritation thanks to its cooling effect.
You had better know that yogurt can prevent the expansion and recurrence of mucocele effectively.
Do’s And Don’ts:
- Check your cysts regularly to ensure that they do not get infected
- Avoid to bite your lips or cheeks frequently
- Chew some sugarless gums can help ward off biting the affected skin area
- Ensure your good oral hygiene by washing with a mouthwash and brushing the teeth to eliminate food particles so that the wound does not become infected.
When To See Doctor
In case those home remedies are found ineffective, which fails to heal mucocele and its chance of returning is relatively high, you need to consult the local medical professional to ask for further advice.
The only thing that patients should concern is that the cyst can return at any time.
There is also no guarantee that the mucocele will not come back after you have laser surgery.
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!